Located just 20 minutes south of Barcelona by train, the coastal resort of Sitges has recently been called the St Tropez of Spain thanks to its luxury villas, glitzy nightlife and well-maintained beaches. A popular weekend retreat for Barcelona’s rich and famous, Sitges also has a more alternative side just waiting to be discovered.
From boho to just straightforward chic
Rich Catalan have been building villas in Sitges since at least the 18th century and by the 19th century it had developed a reputation for being a popular hangout for artists and intellectuals from Barcelona and beyond. Its proximity to the Catalan capital made it easily accessible for a weekend break, even back then.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
By the mid-20th century, Sitges was a bohemian enclave with a growing party spirit. In fact, Sitges was the birthplace of the first ever Pacha nightclub – now a world-famous Ibiza institution – which opened its doors in 1967. It was around this time that the seaside town became a popular gay retreat, with many gay bars, hotels and cafés now gathered around the Gay Village around Carrer de Joan Tarrida.
In recent years Sitges has built on its reputation, drawing an increasingly international and cosmopolitan crowd. If there are some 25,000 year-round residents, this grows to nearly 100,000 residents during the summer months. While many stay in hotels around the seafront, there are an impressive number of luxury villas perched on the cliffs surrounding Sitges, too.
An International Film Festival
It’s not only during the summer months that the crowds flock to Sitges though, autumn sees the city host the world’s largest film festival for all things horror and fantasy. The likes of Quentin Tarantino, Guillermo del Toro and Sir Anthony Hopkins have attended the Sitges Film Festival over the years.
One of the highlights of the event is without doubt the Sitges Zombie Walk, which sees thousands of people parade through the town dressed in their most ghastly outfits. The night ends with live music and dancing and is an altogether unforgettable experience.
Shopping, eating and going out in Sitges
For a town of its size, Sitges has an impressive amount of bars, restaurants and cafés catering to a range of different crowds and budgets. The promenade along the waterfront is lined with restaurants, both traditional and modern, some of which have been here for 50 years or more.
Away from the beach, the town centre of Sitges is home to small boutiques and independent shops catering to both men and women. Many of these are concentrated around Carrer Sant Francesc, Carrer Parellades, Carrer Major and Carrer Jesus.
Nighttime brings out a whole other side to Sitges, especially around the Carrer 1er de Maig, which some have taken to calling ‘Sin Street’ owing to its rather raucous bars and nightclubs. There’s also a tamer side to Sitges’ nightlife, with places such as the Casablanca Cocktail Bar & Art Lounge offering a laid-back atmosphere and some excellent cocktails.
While Sitges may not have all the pizzazz of nearby Barcelona, it is a much more pleasant seaside resort with much to offer couples, families and large groups. The town centre has a friendly village feel, but with plenty of options for a wild night out too.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.