The nightlife scene in Madrid is always a happening aspect of the city, regardless of what style of music you’re into. Check out this handy guide to find out which bars and clubs have just the style of music you’re looking for.
For EDM lovers
If you want to dance all night long to techno and house, there’s plenty of spots in Madrid that you should head to. Some of the most famous nightclubs around the city typically have EDM playing, but don’t bother heading over before 1 a.m., as the clubs will be pretty dead. Kapital is one of Madrid’s most well-known nightclubs. It has several floors with various kinds of music, but the main floor is almost always playing some version of house music. Penélope Madrid is another great club if you want feel your heart pounding to the beats on the dance floor. They do have concerts during the week and often play many different styles of music, but usually on the weekends, it’s deep house.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Teatro Kapital, Calle de Atocha, 125, 28012 Madrid, +34 914 20 29 06
Sala Penélope Calle Hilarión Eslava, 36, 28015 Madrid, +34 610 47 24 39
A little rock n’ roll
Madrid has a solid rock ‘n’ roll scene, and if you want to see live metal, indie and rock bands, check out the lineup at Independence Club. Make sure to sign up on their website in order to get on the list. Tupperware in the hip Malasaña neighborhood plays all sorts of music, but tends to focus on rock music from the 1980s. Plus, their quirky decor will put you in a headbanging mood.
Tupperware, Calle Corredera Alta de San Pablo, 26, 28004 Madrid, +34 625 52 35 61
Hip to the hop
Hip-hop isn’t as big in Madrid as in other capital cities around Europe, but it certainly has a cult following. There’s a few different spots around the city that offer one hip-hop night a week where you can hear newer jams, old school hits and even some RnB. Serrano 41 has hip-hop on Sundays and Bogui Jazz will sometimes have a weekend hip-hop night downstairs in the basement. Make sure to check Bogui’s event calendar, as they also do jazz concerts upstairs.
Bogui Jazz, Calle del Barquillo, 29, 28004 Madrid, +34 915 21 15 68
Serrano 41, Calle de Serrano, 41, 28001 Madrid, +34 634 53 30 93
Spanish pop tunes
Spanairds love their pachanga music, which roughly translates to Spanish pop, with perhaps the occasional song in English thrown in, a little reggaeton and maybe a Rihanna song or two. So many clubs play this style of music, and if you’re looking for something late at night, try La Cartuja or Samsara. If one’s too crowded, try heading to the other—they’re just down the block from each other near the Puerta del Sol.
La Cartuja, Calle de la Cruz, 10, 28012 Madrid, + 34 915 21 55 89
Samsara, Calle de la Cruz, 7, 28012 Madrid, +34 605 37 52 65
Salsa your heart out
If you’re dying to hear some salsa and bachata music, or even looking for a place where you can dance along, Azúcar is one of the most famous salsa clubs in Madrid. Get ready for some serious Cuban moves here. El Son is just as fun, and both of these spots stay open until the wee hours of the morning. However, they can both be extremely crowded, so get there early to snag a good spot, unless you plan on occupying the dance floor the whole time anyway.
Azúcar, 28012, Calle de Atocha, 107, 28012 Madrid, +34 914 29 62 08
El Son, Calle de la Victoria, 6, 28012 Madrid, +34 915 23 26 09
Try some a bit different
If you’re in the mood for something musical but not sure what, head to the famous Cuevas de Sésamo, which dates back to the 1950s. This downstairs cave bar offers two things: sangria and a live piano bar. Your best bet is to go all out here and indulge in both. This may result in a sangria-induced hangover the next day, but it will most certainly be worth it. If that’s a little too crazy for you, Amargo Restaurant has live music several nights of the week—usually a duo or soloist singing and playing the guitar while you enjoy your dinner. Check out their schedule to see what’s on and don’t forget to reserve your table ahead of time.
Cuevas de Sésamo, Calle del Príncipe, 7, 28012 Madrid, +34 914 29 65 24
Amargo, Calle del Pez, 2, 28004 Madrid, +34 910 84 79 90
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.