The Canary Islands’ unique volcanic landscapes and mountainous peaks mean there are many spectacular spots for sunset watching. Add the islands’ unique Atlantic position off the coast of North Africa, and you’ve got incredible opportunities to enjoy some truly fabulous sunsets – and here are top tips on just where to go.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Roque Nublo (cloud rock) is an 80-m (262 ft) tall volcanic rock resembling an enormous standing-stone, perched precariously on top of the second highest peak on the Gran Canaria. A protected natural monument, it is one of the largest free-standing rocks in the world, and a much-photographed landmark on the island. Surprisingly accessible by road (although you can hike there too) the iconic rock is a short, but steep, fifteen-minute walk from the nearest car park. Just next to the rock is a natural platform looking west towards Tenerife’s Teide volcano, making for some incredibly dramatic sunset shots.
Mirador de la Pico de las Nieves
The Mirador de la Pico de las Nieves is the highest lookout point in Gran Canaria and a fantastic place to watch the sunset. Even on cloudy days, the view is fantastic as you are above the cloud line and can see the mountains and Tenerife peaking out above the sea of clouds. Reachable by car or bus, there is plenty of parking at this spot.
Benijo beach, with its views of the Roques de Anaga, is a magical place to watch the sunset. The journey to this fairly remote beach is well worth it for the sight of the sun dropping behind the jagged volcanic rock formations and into the sea. You can drive reasonably close, but to access the beach itself there is a five minute walk involving steps.
Mirador de Chipeque
For views of the sunset with the spectacular Mount Teide volcano as a backdrop, head to the Mirador de Chipeque viewpoint in the Teide National Park. The volcano is often surrounded by a sea of clouds (mar de nubes) making the sight even more special.
It doesn’t get more dramatic than catching the sunset at over 3,500m (11,483 ft) above sea level and looking out over volcanic craters. As Spain’s highest peak, Mount Teide offers incredible views at any time of the day, but particularly at sunset. Take the cable car to the upper station and either watch the sunset from there, or take a guided sunset tour to the Pico Viejo viewpoint.
Cofete beach is 12km (7.46 miles) of wild and remote sands on Fuerteventura’s rugged Jandia peninsula. Not a beach for sunbathing (too windy) or swimming (dangerous waves and currents) it’s nonetheless well worth a visit just for a walk on an eerily beautiful, deserted beach. Sitting on the sand dunes watching the sunset against the backdrop of the jagged Jandia Mountains and to the sound of crashing waves in the Atlantic ocean is quite an experience. The downside is that Cofete is difficult to reach without a 4×4, and even then it is a tricky drive on a rough stony track – particularly once the sun has gone down.
The tiny whitewashed fishing village of El Golfo is a stark contrast to the weird and wonderful black lava fields that surrounds it. Located on the edge of the Timanfaya National Park on the west coast of Lanzarote, the village is a great spot for watching the sun go down, whether that be with a drink in hand at a local bar, or at the viewpoint overlooking the famous Charco de los Clicos (green lagoon).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.