Tour on horseback (or camel)
One of the most pleasant and relaxing ways to discover Lanzarote is on horseback. There are numerous defined riding trails – called Rutas Ecuestres – and there’s no shortage of riding centres dotted around the island. You can trot or gallop through some stunning scenery, with the likes of Horses Lanzarote, who offer one- or two-hour tours around the Costa Teguise area. They also have ponies for younger riders. Alternatively, to indulge your inner Lawrence of Arabia, you can explore the desert-like landscapes on the back of a camel in the Timanfaya National Park; trips take around half an hour.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There are only 15 commercial submarines in the world, so this is a rare opportunity to experience submarine travel firsthand. You’ll be taken 30 metres (98 feet) down, and you’ll be able to witness scuba divers feeding the abundance of marine life by hand, right outside the submarine window, as well as exploring local underwater shipwrecks. Submarine Safaris operate two of the world’s most sophisticated tourist submarines (one on Lanzarote and the other on Tenerife), each having cost €3 million. The tour takes around an hour, and there’s also a kids’ club.
Submarine Safaris, 35571 Puerto Calero, Las Palmas, +34 928512898
Experience the island from a different perspective on this increasingly popular form of two-wheeled motorised transport. Group tours with Moving Segway Lanzarote will take you on an on- and off-road adventure with a choice of routes that include ancient native sites, beaches, volcanos and more.
Those who prefer more of a rugged riding experience can opt for a quad bike tour. All bikers must be over 18 and have a valid driving licence. Make sure to take sunglasses and a scarf to protect your face from the dust, as you’ll be storming around the island on some seriously fun off-road trails. Rent-a-Quad Lanzarote offer tours lasting from one to three-and-a-half hours, with the longest covering 70 kilometres (43 miles), half of that off-road.
Rent-a-Quad, Avenida Archipiélago, 7, Playa Blanca, Spain, + 34 645090309
Go on a jeep safari
Another experience for those who like it rough and rugged, a jeep safari takes you off the beaten track to places that would do some serious damage to your hire car. Adventure Holidays Lanzarote offer a range of 4×4 trips that last up to around seven hours, with as much on- or off-road as you like.
With plenty of smooth tarmac roads, relatively little traffic and terrain that varies from long flats to punishing slopes, Lanzarote is great for road biking. Mountain bikers will also find no shortage of rugged trails, including goat tracks that cut through craters and lava formations. Lanzarote Cycling offer everything from bike rental to half- or full-day guided tours; for a full-on cycling experience, you can mountain bike tour around the island in up to seven stages over a week.
It might come as a surprise to many but – thanks to its warm climate, night dew and fertile volcanic soil – Lanzarote produces some excellent wines. And what better way to get to know these wines than by exploring the island’s vineyards? Wine Tours Lanzarote offer walks around three lovely vineyards, where every stage of the wine-making process is still done by hand, plus, of course, tastings of six local wines, paired with some Lanzarote goat’s cheese. Tours take three to four hours, and can be done privately or as part of a group; pickup and drop-off at your accommodation are included.
Wine Tours Lanzarote, Calle Los Sabandenos 45, Tías, Spain, +34 631789200
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.