Tarifa is within easy reach of weekend destinations that offer everything from unspoilt beaches to unique cultural blends. Read on for our pick of the best spots within an hour’s drive of Tarifa.
Tarifa’s location on the southernmost tip of Continental Europe means it’s within striking distance of some great places for a weekend break. Here’s our pick of the best of them, from hidden Andalusian gems to one of Spain’s north African enclaves.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tarifa’s only a 35-minute ferry ride away from the fascinating city of Tangier. From the early 20th century until 1956, when it became part of an independent Morocco, Tangier was an “international zone” – in other words, a hotbed of espionage, political intrigue and louche living. Soak up the ambience by getting lost in the shabby-chic old town (medina) before checking out attractions such as the Grand Mosque, the American Legation Museum, and Petit Socco, once a den of iniquity but now a pleasant square.
The surreal British overseas territory of Gibraltar is easily reachable from Tarifa: simply head to La Linea de la Concepción (a 45-minute drive) and walk over the border. Start with a stroll down Main Street in the old town, where British high street giants such as M&S rub shoulders with Genoese-style townhouses; then take a cable car to the top of the 400-metre high Rock to meet the apes (keep your possessions close) and enjoy stunning views of north Africa’s coastline. The Great Siege and Second World War Tunnels are also must-visits.
Often overlooked in favour of more famous cities such as Seville and Córdoba, Cádiz is one of Andalusia’s hidden gems. It’s just an hour’s drive from Tarifa, and offers weekend visitors two lovely beaches, an old town that’s as scruffy as it is beautiful, and a magnificent 18th-century cathedral. There are also some great tapas bars to hang out in, such as the legendary Casa Manteca. Situated in the old fishing barrio of La Viña, this place is unbeatable if you like your Spanish bars loud, old-school and plastered in bullfighting posters.
Vejer de la Frontera
Perched on a clifftop 200 metres above the lush valley of the Barbate river, Vejer de la Frontera is one of Andalusia’s most beautiful pueblos blancos (white villages). It’s reached by a 45-minute drive from Tarifa, the final approach of which will allow you to appreciate the town’s spectacular location. Vejer’s key attractions include the charming Plaza de España and its central fountain, an old town that’s barely changed in centuries, and the ruins of a 14th-century Gothic castle.
Estepona is a gorgeous town that has managed to resist the soulless urbanisation suffered by many destinations on the Costa del Sol. Reached by an hour-long coastal drive from Tarifa, its flower-filled streets, pretty central square (Plaza de las Flores) and attractive Playa Rada make for a great weekend stay. Be sure also to visit the Orchid House – home to one of Europe’s largest collections of orchids – and the asymmetrical bullring, the only one of its kind in Spain. Dine at El Pescador for some of the freshest fish on Málaga’s coastline.
Tiny Ceuta (it covers just 18.5 square kilometres) is one of two Spanish territories on the African mainland and is reached by ferry from Algeciras, a port city 23 kilometres east of Tarifa. A curious blend of Andalusia and Morocco, it’s packed with magnificent architecture, leafy parks and lively tapas bars. Key sights include Plaza de Africa, the city’s elegant main square, and the 5th-century Royal Walls (Muralles Reales). In the Parque Marítimo de Mediterráneo, meanwhile, you’ll find bars, restaurants and two saltwater swimming pools.
Playa de Bolonia
If you want a weekend away from the crowds of high-season Tarifa, head to Playa de Bolonia, an unspoilt stretch of sand 25 kilometres north of Europe’s kite-surfing capital. Just back from the beach– which has separate zones for wind and kite surfers and those who just want to bathe – is the lovely town of Bolonia itself, where you’ll find plenty of cool pensiones and hostels to spend the night. Don’t leave without visiting the ruins of Baelo Claudia, a prosperous Roman fishing village dating to between 2BC and 7AD.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.