Asturias is one of Spain’s little-known regions, on the north coast. Besides its amazing green and wild scenery, Asturias produces some excellent cuisine. It’s particularly known for its cider, as well its cheeses and grilled meats. The Asturian capital of Oviedo is where you can find some of the best Asturian cuisine, so here are our picks of some of the best restaurants in the city. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Gloria is a trendy and stylish restaurant, focusing on quality ingredients and flavours. It is run by Michelin-starred chefs and siblings Nacho and Esther Manzano, who also run the famous Casa Marcial and La Salgar in Gijón, along with their family. The concept is based on fresh market ingredients and quality home cooking, and some of the recipes here have been adapted from their more famous sister restaurants. It serves mainly tapas-style plates such as Iberian ham with grilled aubergine and an emulsion of chilli peppers or classic ham croquettes and tortilla. They also serve an excellent menu of the day, featuring one classic Asturian dish every day of the week – Wednesday is for the fabada Asturiana – traditional Asturian stew.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
La Finca Sidrería Agrobar
La Finca is both a traditional Asturian cider bar and a restaurant, serving classic Asturian dishes and tapas plates. It has a modern and contemporary feel, yet is decorated with wooden cider barrels and farming equipment. All of the dishes are made with 100% Asturian products, and many of them are made without gluten or lactose (you’ll also find a few vegetarian choices). Choose from plates such as courgette with roasted salmon, fire-roasted aubergine with pesto and bonito fish, fabada Asturiana and an Asturian sausage board.
Pedro Martino aims to showcase the very best of Asturian cuisine in its kitchen. Head chef Pedro Martino cooks up a storm of fresh, seasonal dishes that are simple, yet beautifully presented. These include chickpea stew, octopus with boiled potatoes, and creamy rice with clams and squid. Don’t forget to leave room for the creative and delicious desserts, such as rice pudding with local honey ice cream, hazelnut soufflé or merengue rock with Sariego cheese and a cardamom and carrot cream.
Another traditional Asturian sidrería (cider bar), Tierra Astur has a few branches dotted all over the region. Inside is rustic and cosy, filled with lots of dark wood, wooden benches and green glass bottles hanging from the ceiling. As well as the traditional cider, they specialise in grilled meats, as well fabada Asturiana, and cured meat and fish boards (mar y montaña). Other dishes to try include corn tortillas filled with picadillo (Mexican-style stew) of wild boar and chicken stuffed with dried ham and a local cheese.
Located right in the historic heart of Oviedo, El Fartuquín is a historic restaurant itself, filled with old wooden beams, wrought iron chandeliers and bare stone walls. The restaurant offers an array of starters, salads, meat and fish dishes, such as grilled prawns, octopus cooked with onions or sirloin fillet cooked in cider. They also offer a wide selection of desserts – so make sure to save room. There’s everything from cheesecake and almond cake to Cava lemon sorbet or apple cider sorbet and a selection of Asturian cheeses.
Open since 1924, Casa Fermín is an upmarket fine dining restaurant by chef Luis Alberto Martínez and his family. It is set in a greenhouse-like building with a glass roof and surrounded by plants. It’s all about avant-garde, molecular gastronomy, foams and artistic plates here. It even has its own wine cellar. Dishes include pickled oysters with passion fruit, mussels with green garlic and apple foam, or wild mushrooms with pumpkin and an egg foam with truffle.
El Fondín is a charming little restaurant set on the Plaza Trascorrales, with tables spilling outside onto the street. The restaurant describes itself has having a market kitchen, with fresh seasonal ingredients. Dishes on the menu here include sautéed rock octopus with clams and prawns, and grilled Vidiago cheese with fresh tomato, basil and raspberry coulis. There are also a number of other meat and fish dishes, as well as a whole mushroom section of the menu – great for vegetarians. The tasty homemade desserts are definitely worth trying, too.
Restaurante del Arco
Restaurante del Arco is one of the most well-known restaurants in Oviedo, having been a favourite here for around 30 years. It comprises a stylish and classy restaurant and a casual tavern next door. While the tavern serves both classic and innovative tapas bites such as corn tortillas with crispy duck and pineapple chutney or Asturian beef with peppers, the restaurant offers a fine three-course menu. There’s also a classy tasting menu for €55. Try the amazing sparkling chocolate ball filled with caramel cream for dessert.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.