The largest of the popular Canary Islands, Tenerife is a must-visit destination. From deep sea diving and horseback rides to delicious dining and exciting hikes, there’s no shortage of activities. To help you plan the perfect stay, here are some of the very best places to rest your head – you’re sure to find the hotel Tenerife holidays are made of, bookable on Culture Trip.
Found in a restored 18th-century Canarian manor, Hotel Emblemático San Marcos is a beautiful adults-only retreat that makes the most of its rich heritage. Quality over quantity is definitely the mantra here, with just six expertly designed guestrooms that include a host of welcome additions, including a private terrace, extra storage space and large windows, which bathe the space in natural light. Just a short trip out of the historic Icod de los Vinos region, the hotel is a great place for guests wanting to explore the island’s fascinating history.
A sun-soaked sanctuary found on the edge of Santiago del Teide, this hotel in Tenerife is the ideal place for guests looking to focus on some rest and recuperation. The rooms are open with thoughtful designs, and the personable staff have a great knowledge of the surrounding area. If you’re looking for a bite to eat, make sure to stop by the fantastic in-house restaurant, serving a delicious range of vegetarian dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Welcoming guests for a little over 30 years, Europe Villa Cortes offers a fun and fresh villa option, just a short walk from some of Tenerife’s most picture perfect beaches. The guest rooms are filled with traditional Mexican furniture and a vibrant design, while still offering the amenities common to a modern stay, including satellite TV, room service and complimentary wifi. Well suited for active guests, the hotel is just a short distance from scuba diving, golf, cycling and plenty of nearby hiking trails.
Situated on the edge of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, the five-star Iberostar Grand Mencey is part of the architectural heritage of the city. Set in a grand building, it offers stylish and sleek rooms with either city or garden views. The range of facilities include a spa, paddle tennis courts and a gym. There are also four restaurants to choose from, each offering a variety of Canarian, Spanish and international cuisine.
Located on the northern coast of the island in the town of Garachico, the Hotel San Roque is set around a beautiful courtyard. An adults-only hotel, it makes for an ideal romantic break where you can enjoy candlelit al fresco dining, massages in the spa and swimming in the pool. The rooms are spacious, decorated in soft colours and feature wood furnishings. Nearby, you can play golf, go wine tasting or hike in the natural park.
You’ll find La Quinta Roja in a historic building in the town of Garachico. The rooms are cosy and rustic with wooden rafters, and some even have stone walls. It’s ideal for nature and adventure sport lovers, being so close to Teno Rural Park, the natural pools of El Caleton and lots of hiking and biking trails.
Right in the centre of the island, the Parador de las Cañadas del Teide is inside the Teide National Park. Housed in a lodge between the Çhaorra Caldera and Montaña Blanca, it offers spectacular views of the volcano, the highest mountain in Spain. Inside, there’s a cosy lobby with a stone fireplace and lots of wood, as well as a stylish lounge area. The rooms are a good size and feature huge beds. Other facilities include an indoor pool, a classy restaurant and a bar area.
This adults-only five-star resort is one of the most upscale hotels in Tenerife, situated on the northwestern edge of the island, close to the Buenavista Golf Course. It offers views over the Atlantic and rooms in colonial-style buildings with typical Canarian architecture. Couples can spend their time here dining at the Salazar Restaurant, enjoying a cocktail at the El Pandano Pool Bar and relaxing at the YHI Spa.
Found on the western coast within the Golf Costa Adeje, the Royal Gardens comprises 28 individual villas. The resort exudes luxury, with a number of Balinese and Thai wood carvings and statues dotted around the premises. Many of the villas also have their own private pools, and there’s Golden Pond Spa and Jardin Restaurant.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Nicholas Grantham contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.