Save your euros for cocktails and boutique shopping. Book one of these affordable places to stay in the Andalucian beach town of Marbella with Culture Trip.
Marbella is home to one of the glitziest marinas in the Costa del Sol, as well as its most exclusive nightclubs – but that doesn’t mean it’ll cost you a fortune to visit. Whether you’re looking to shop in the Old Town’s boutiques, visit the yacht-packed, millionaire’s playground of Puerto Banus or party on Nikki Beach, you’ll have an extensive selection of hostels and cheap hotels to choose from. Here’s our pick of the best.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bluebelle is a great option if you’re driving, as it offers free parking outside the building, on a restaurant-lined stretch of Marbella known as the Golden Mile. The best rooms are the superior doubles, which come with a furnished, sea-view terrace. There are two great breakfast and brunch spots nearby – Pan y Mermelada and Organic Market & Food. Playa Casablanca and the Paseo Maritimo are both less than 10 minutes away on foot.
Couples should book the Lucero 12. It’s situated on a tranquil cobbled lane in the 18th-century Barrio Nuevo (New Neighbourhood), a five-minute walk from the beach. Five individually decorated double rooms overlook either the street or the internal patio, and one has a balcony. Champagne, flowers and candied treats are available on request – plus private transfers to and from Malaga airport can also be arranged.
Hostal Acemar is geared towards backpackers, located in San Pedro de Alcantara, a town situated a 40-minute bus ride west along the coast from Marbella. It offers shared dormitories or single and double rooms with private bathrooms, as well as a fully equipped kitchen, 24-hour convenience store and laundry service. San Pedro’s 1.5km (1mi)-long beach is a 15-minute walk away, and is often less crowded than those in Marbella itself.
This homey pensión is situated just back from Playa del Cable and the seafront promenade. Stay in unpretentious twin or double rooms, all with private terraces and views of the sea and mountains. Boisterous summer barbecues with kids’ entertainers are held on the shaded internal courtyard, and the in-house restaurant specialises in paella and couscous dishes. A 25-minute walk along the promenade will take you to the Old Town. Free, guests-only parking is available outside.
Pensión Aduar offers well-maintained single, double, triple and quadruple rooms, most of which have shared bathrooms. The focal point in the building is a traditional Andalucian patio, decorated with plants, blue-and-white tiles, wall-mounted ceramics and a fountain – the perfect space to meet fellow guests over an early evening vino. It’s situated in the heart of the Old Town, just up the road from the Town Hall and Plaza de los Naranjos.
Run by English couple Craig and Frankie, Hostal Tak offers 15 vintage-themed rooms on the edge of the Old Town, a five-minute walk from the beach. Choose from singles, twins, doubles or a four-person suite, split between two restored townhouses on a quiet, pedestrianised street – all have private bathrooms. Take a beer up to the roof terrace and enjoy the view from the white leather sofas. You’ll also have use of a fridge, utensils and a microwave in the top-floor kitchen.
Hostal Berlin provides a conveniently located base from which to explore central Marbella. It’s just a seven-minute walk from Plaza de los Naranjos, the Old Town’s main square. Rooms range from singles to quadruples – all feature contemporary decor and ensuite bathrooms, whilst some also have Juliet balconies. Communal spaces comprise a plant-filled patio that attracts local butterflies, a bar area with comfy armchairs and free snacks and coffee, plus a sea-facing roof terrace.
Immerse yourself in the Old Town of Marbella during a stay at Hostal Enriqueta, a family-run establishment situated just around the corner from Plaza de los Naranjos. Rooms sleep up to four people – many have balconies and/or large windows overlooking the rooftops of the oldest quarter. Shared spaces include a reception area with a small library and TV, plus a patio filled with plants and flowers. There’s no bar or breakfast, but the plentiful Old Town tapas joints and cafes make up for that.
Pet-friendly Hostal Paco is found at the Old Town centre, a five-minute walk from Alameda Park and Plaza de los Naranjos. Simple, whitewashed rooms accommodate couples or parties of three, and some have small balconies. Make sure you pop into the adjoining bar – it takes inspiration from the northern region of Asturias and serves cloudy cider, a hearty Asturian stew called fabada and sea-urchin caviar.
Luxury touches abound at the Town House, a chic hotel in the Old Town that feels more like a five-star than a two-star. There are 10 opulent double rooms, featuring dark-wood furniture, marble floors and Molton Brown toiletries – upgrade for a four-poster bed and private terrace. Other perks include a roof garden, complimentary daily breakfast, on-the-house wines and a tapas bar with seating on the square outside.
Looking for more budget-friendly hotels? Check out our pick of the best cheap hotels in Marbella, or if you fancy spending a little more on a luxury hotel, check out our pick of the best luxury hotels to book in Marbella, all bookable with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.