Cheap hotels in Marbella may sound like a contradiction: when you think of the smart Spanish resort of Marbella, it’s probably not budget-friendly accommodation that first springs to mind. Yet hidden spots for cost-conscious travellers still exist amid the superyachts – and they’re bookable on Culture Trip.
With its glitzy Golden Mile, flashy yacht-studded marina and more luxury shops than you can shake a credit card at, this famous town in southern Spain is hardly known as the most budget-friendly of destinations. But that doesn’t mean visiting this buzzing Costa del Sol resort has to cost a kidney, as there are plenty of affordable places to stay that go easy on your wallet.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The NH brand is known for giving good bang for your buck, and the Marbella outpost is no different. Located halfway between the city centre and Puerto Banús, its Golden Mile setting puts it within easy reach of the resort’s swankier spots. The hotel’s centrepiece is a fab freeform pool surrounded by manicured gardens and with a poolside bar. All 163 rooms are smart and modern, reaching onto balconies with many featuring shimmering sea views to the front, or to the sculpted Sierra Blanca to the back.
With a broad sandy beach on one side and the rolling fairways of an 18-hole course on the other, you might expect a stay at this golf and spa hotel would hit a bogey on your budget. Entry-level rooms, however, are surprisingly affordable, and you might even be treated to a sea-view balcony. It’s a bit of a way outside Marbella, but with a pair of restaurants to choose from and some lush spa facilities, you might find little reason to venture too far from the hotel.
There’s more than a touch of Las Vegas about the H10 Andalucía Plaza, with its palatial Andalusian architecture and sumptuous interiors. The lobby alone is vast, and extends to several restaurants, a deluxe spa and a central sun terrace with a huge freeform pool. Rooms blend old and new elements to eye-pleasing effect, with sleek modern bathrooms and walk-in showers. Free access to the adjoining casino adds to the Vegas vibe.
This self-contained resort comprises numerous impressive terracotta-toned buildings set amid lush Mediterranean gardens. You can get lost among the forest of palms and cacti, and find your own secluded shade-dappled spot to unwind in. Accommodation is spacious and apartment-style, with anything from one to three bedrooms. There’s a multi-sectioned pool, too, with a jacuzzi and kid-friendly areas, plus an all-important poolside bar.
This budget pension can be found in the heart of Marbella’s Moorish-influenced Old Town. The highlight is the central Andalusian patio, where you can enjoy your breakfast or just sit and relax. They offer single, double, triple and even quadruple rooms, so it’s ideal for a family or a group of friends who want to stay together.
Located right along the main road in Marbella – Avenida Severo Ochoa – one block from the beach, the Selin Star Light offers visitors a collection of budget apartments perfect for those who want the added benefit of basic cooking facilities. The studio apartments are stylish, light and bright, decorated in tones of white, cream and beige and with attached marble bathrooms and kitchenettes within the room.
Bluebelle by Pillow is a budget Marbella hotel situated in the picturesque Old Town. The rooms are dressed in tones of pastel blue and mint green, and boast all the amenities you’d expect, from flat-screen TVs to air conditioning. As well as private doubles, there are family rooms and suites with terraces for even more space. There’s no cafe or restaurant on- site, but you’ll find plenty of places to dine nearby, and the beach is just 600m (1,970ft) away.
This is an updated version of an article originally by Esme Fox.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.