From cafés famous for their crepes to one of the best pastry shops around, there’s no shortage of breakfast and brunch spots in Tarifa, southern Spain.
If you’re planning a day of surfing or sightseeing in Tarifa, a hearty breakfast or brunch is essential. Here’s our pick of the town’s best spots for the first meal of the day.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As its name suggests, late breakfasts are Andrea Brunch’s speciality, with everything from crepes and sandwiches to bowls of fruit and cereals to choose from. Or, for something a bit different, try hummus with dippable fresh vegetables or one of the best cheesecakes in Tarifa. Travellers with lactose and gluten intolerances are especially well catered for at Andrea’s, a popular café in the old town.
Tarifa’s best pastry shop will be irresistible for sweet-toothed travellers visiting Tarifa. Attractively arrayed in the window display is a vast selection of homemade treats, from sumptuous cakes to palmeras – the heart-shaped pastries topped with chocolate that are so popular in Spain. Pizza slices also provide a savoury breakfast or brunch option. Except for a bench outside, it’s take-out only.
To set yourself up for a day on one of Tarifa’s beautiful beaches, head to Café Azul, a vintage-style joint in the heart of the old town. Out of an improbably small kitchen comes everything from tostadas and sandwiches to freshly-squeezed fruit juices and milkshakes. Azul is most famous, though, for its enormous crepes: available with a variety of toppings, they make for a perfect breakfast or brunch.
Situated on a pretty square in the old town, Restaurante Geko serves up a fusion menu of ‘Italian-Tarifeña’ dishes. Its outside terrace is directly in front of the beautiful San Mateo church, providing a great spot to start a day’s sightseeing. Breakfast or brunch options consist of croissants and sweet pastries, both of which can be accompanied by a cup of Geko’s superb coffee.
Banana Republic Café is one of the most cheerful places in Tarifa for breakfast or brunch. In a funky, tropical-themed interior or out on the terrace, you can start your day with a scrumptious tostada of avocado, cream cheese and nutmeg, or a plate of spinach-infused scrambled egg. Customers here also love the selection of freshly-baked bread, as well as the coffee, juices and milkshakes.
Popular beachfront hangout Surla is said to do the best breakfast in Tarifa. Its menu offers a huge range of options for the day’s first meal, from the classic Spanish tostada to an English fry-up. Those wanting a lighter brekkie or brunch can choose from fruit, cereals, fresh juices and smoothies or pancakes. Make sure you’ve worked up an appetite before ordering, as the portions are generous.
For one of the best-value breakfasts or brunches in Tarifa, head to Café 10, where you can enjoy a coffee, tostada and fresh orange juice for just €3.50 before midday. Other popular options here are the crepes and the muesli with fresh fruit and yoghurt. Whatever you choose, enjoy it on a sunny terrace or – on one of Tarifa’s rare sun-free days – a small but welcoming interior.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.