If you’re planning a trip to Tarifa in southern Spain, add these 10 activities onto your must-do list to make the best of your trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visitors to Tarifa, in the Cádiz province of southern Spain, won’t find it lacking in things to see and do. Read on for our pick of the top 10 activities in this trendy Andalusian town, from visiting its Moorish castle to relaxing on its beautiful beaches.
Visit the Castillo de Guzman el Bueno
Wedged in between the old town and the seafront is Tarifa’s 10th-century Castillo de Guzmán El Bueno. This sturdy castle served to defend Tarifa from Christian invaders until 1292, when King Sancho IV captured it from the Moors. It takes its name from Alonso Perez de Guzmán, a military leader who successfully fended off a Moorish siege in 1294.
Wander around the old town
Wandering up past the Guzmán Castle’s forbidding walls, you soon come to Tarifa’s oldest quarter. Set aside a couple of hours for wandering within this maze of pretty alleyways and shabby-chic squares, making sure you don’t miss the Plaza de Santa Maria. You’ll quickly discover the reason why it’s known locally as Plaza de la Ranita (Litte Frog Square).
Visit the Castillo de Santa Catalina
Less well known than the Guzmán castle but still worth checking out is the Castillo de Santa Catalina. It was built as a watchtower in the early 1930s, but sustained so much damage during the Spanish Civil War of 1936–39 that it was abandoned for the best part of half a decade. Currently closed to the public, it can only be admired from outside.
Check out the Puerta de Jerez
The Puerta de Jerez is the only one of four medieval gateways to Tarifa still standing. According to some historians, it dates from the 9th century, while others date its construction to the 1200s. Above its Moorish-style arched entrance is a plaque remembering September 21, 1292 – the date when King Sancho IV took Tarifa from the Moors.
Chill on Playa de Los Lances
Located just north of Tarifa, Playa de Los Lances is one of Andalusia’s most beautiful beaches. Its golden sands stretch northwards for 10 kilometres, backing onto the lush cork oak forests of the Los Alcornocales Natural Park. The perfect spot for a morning or afternoon’s sunbathing, broken up by visits to the cool chiringuitos that stud its length.
Visit the Roman ruins
The remnants of Baelo Claudia that are found 23 kilometres (14 miles) north of Tarifa are some of Andalusia’s best-preserved Roman ruins. This once-prosperous fishing village was founded in the second century BC, and survived multiple earthquakes before being abandoned in the 6th century AD; impressively-conserved are the fish-salting facilities and the temples.
Thanks to the two strong winds that shape Tarifa’s climate – the Poniente from the west and the Levante from the east – the town has become one of Europe’s most popular surfing destinations, particularly for kite surfers. Head to Calle Batalla del Salado, the main beachside drag, to rent or buy gear and to book yourself onto some board, wind, or kite surfing classes.
Park, Hiking Trail
There’s some spectacular trekking to be enjoyed near Tarifa, as the town is situated between two natural parks, the Parque Natural del Estrecho and the Parque Natural de Alcornocales. The first runs alongside the south coast and offers tracks with views of the Moroccan coast, while in Alcornocales you can hike in the Iberian Peninsula’s largest cork oak forest.
Soak up the nightlife
Bar, Spanish, $
Tarifa’s popularity with surfers lends it a bohemian vibe all of its own. Experience it to the full by soaking up the town’s nightlife (be prepared for a late night). The old town is the place to be: head to El Lola – a locals’ favourite – for early-evening tapas, before moving on to a sleek cocktail bar such as Almedina, which is carved into the medieval city wall.
Take a day trip to Tangier
Occupying as it does the southernmost tip of Continental Europe, Tarifa is only a 35-minute ferry ride from Tangier, making the latter ideal for a day-trip destination. Louche and sultry, this Moroccan city became legendary throughout the 19th and 20th centuries as a hotspot for international espionage. Key attractions include the Grand Mosque and the walled old town (medina).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.