Valencia, Spain’s third-largest city, has an enviable location on the Mediterranean coast. The city is home to one of the busiest ports in Europe, connecting it with the Balearic Islands and further afield, as well as a large marina. There are plenty of boat trips to choose from, whether you’re looking for a day trip or a connection to the islands. Here’s our pick of the best.
From Valencia, it’s easy to hop over to the infamous party island of Ibiza for a couple of nights to enjoy its famous sun, sea and nightlife. There are two ferry companies, Balearia and Trasmediterranea, operating on the Valencia–Ibiza route, with a total of up to 12 crossings per week in high season. The trip takes between five and seven hours, depending on which ferry you take.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There are also ferries to another famously beautiful holiday destination, the Balearic island of Mallorca, where you can enjoy the nightlife, relax on the stunning beaches or explore the history-packed city streets and medieval walls of Palma de Mallorca. While you can fly between Valencia and Palma de Mallorca airports, many people opt for a cabin on an overnight ferry crossing ,which takes between seven and eight hours. On your return from Mallorca, you have the option of taking a ferry to other mainland Spanish destinations such as Barcelona or Dénia.
It’s a long trip, but from Valencia’s port you can also catch a ferry to the furthermost Balearic island, Menorca, a gorgeous little island with beaches straight out of paradise. The crossing, which is available once a week with Trasmediterranea ferries, takes up to 15 hours and lands at the main port and capital city of Mahon, on the far side of the island. From here, you could choose to take a ferry to Barcelona, or continue east across the Mediterranean to one of several Italian destinations, including Sardinia.
One way to get a different perspective of Valencia is on a catamaran tour. There are several companies based at the city’s Marina Real Juan Carlos I, with boats travelling just a short distance out to sea for the day or afternoon. You’ll see the seven kilometres (four miles) of golden sandy beaches backed by mountains, and discover hidden coves, perfect for snorkelling and sunbathing, that would never be found by car or on foot.
Valencia is famous for its sunsets, and what better way to enjoy them than from out at sea? One of the most romantic things you can do here is hire a sailboat (with captain) from the main marina, Marina Real Juan Carlos I, to take in the shoreline from out on the Med as the sun goes down in a fiery blaze. If your budget doesn’t stretch to private hire, there are several companies advertising shared trips at sunset, which also leave from the marina.
One of the most popular things for holidaymakers and Valencian 20-somethings to do at the height of summer is to join a boat party complete with all the food and drink you could want, with plenty of stops for diving, snorkelling and swimming. Visit the marina to compare prices and packages available from the various party boat organisers.
If you fancy a short and sweet boat trip on more serene waters, another option is to visit the famous Albufera lake just ten kilometres (six miles) south of Valencia, easily reached by bus or bike. There are plenty of traditional flat-bottomed fishing boats for hire ready to take you out into the middle of the still waters just before sunset, to enjoy the stunning effect of the light on its mirror-like surface.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.