Valencia may not be on everyone’s radar as a romantic destination, but there’s plenty of seafront glamour and palatial luxury here – as well as revamped old buildings that will appeal to loved-up couples. Here’s our pick of the best places to stay in Spain’s third-largest city, all bookable with Culture Trip.
Sometimes the most romantic hotels are those you don’t want to leave. With its grandly elegant architecture, entering the Westin Valencia feels a little like stepping into a world away from the city. Although built in 1917 for the wool industry, a timeless grandeur pervades. You’ll want to linger in your art deco-styled room, especially if you splash out for a jacuzzi terrace. A secluded garden, excellent spa, and three restaurants give you even less reason to venture outside.
Plump circular pillows, purple velvet throws, low-level lighting, rooms at the Vincci Palace Hotel have an undeniably amorous vibe. Throughout the hotel there’s a warm, romantic atmosphere with glitzy touches conducive to coupling and a top-level terrace where you can gaze over the city’s rooftops with your beau. With its high-back sofas and twinkling chandeliers, the hotel’s bar is a nicely moody spot for after-dinner cocktails.
Opened in 1913, this landmark city-centre hotel is one of Valencia’s oldest and most hallowed – literary giants Ernest Hemingway and Federico García Lorca were former guests. It was completely rebooted in 2016 and today offers one of the most quirky and interesting stays. Couples with an arty eye will find lots to love here, from playful artworks to snazzy retro design. Plump for a grand suite for a big soaking tub and four-poster bed – room service means you won’t need to leave it for morning breakfast either.
While a top-to-toe 2017 renovation has given this property a seriously smart modern vibe, bare brickwork, wrought iron and wood beams provide occasional reminders of its historic origins. Couples are drawn to the urbane-yet-playful atmosphere, as well as its junior suites with super-kingsize beds, spacious walk-in showers and illuminated fresco-style ceilings. When the sun’s out, head to the rooftop for a dip in the pool – arrive early and you might get it all to yourselves.
Built on the remains of an ancient Roman perfumery, there’s certainly a whiff of romance in the air at the Palacio Vallier. Intricately ornate ceilings, swathes of polished white marble and beautifully rendered art-deco interiors combine to swoony effect in this 19th-century palace. Rooms are particularly dreamy, with round-the-clock room service if you don’t want to leave. A peaceful rooftop terrace provides a romantic spot, plus there’s a snug 1930s American-style bar perfect for intimate cocktails.
Whisk your loved one away to this luxurious boutique retreat in the magical setting of a 19th-century palace. The building, and many of its rooms, feature incredible original design features, from Arabic stonework to gothic arches and beamed ceilings, as well as contemporary interior design touches. Right in the heart of Valencia, you can take a romantic stroll through the cobbled streets to see the nearby cathedral, too.
Indulge yourselves at this tranquil hotel complete with spa, pool, cocktail lounge and gourmet restaurant. Set across two renovated 19th-century buildings at the edge of the Old Town, the hotel has spacious rooms overlooking pretty courtyards. It’s a short walk to all the main sights and the Turia Gardens are on the doorstep.
Blanq Carmen Hotel is the perfect choice if you prefer to stay right in the heart of bohemian El Carmen, a part of the Old Town famous for its edgy nightlife, vibrant street art and vintage shopping. Small and stylish, the hotel sports modern box-fresh rooms and the La Terraza del Blanq roof terrace is the ideal place for toasting views of the Serranos Gate with a tipple or two.
Sophisticated and stylish, this boutique hotel is in the heart of the fashionable Canovas district, surrounded by upscale shops and chic cafes. Well-equipped rooms feature designer furnishings and wooden floors and guests can unwind in the fitness centre and sauna after a long day of shopping and sightseeing. For a really romantic night out, take in a classical concert at the nearby Palau de la Música.
Clare Speak contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.