One of the most unique cultural traditions of Catalonia, castells are human towers which can sometimes reach death-defying heights. Photographer David Oliete has spent over 10 years trying to capture the incredible world of the castellers to shed light on the courage, skill and camaraderie of these performers.
Culture Trip: Tell us a little bit about yourself; what’s your background and how did you get started as a photographer?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
David Oliete: I guess I had to be a photographer… At home, when I was a child, there was a camera all the time. My grandfather was a photographer and my mother is a photographer as well, so I guess at that time my future was expected to be linked to a camera. I understand ‘photography’ as a way to make people think. A way to tell stories, to understand what is going on around us: next to our neighbours, or far away home.
CT: You did a series entitled Human Towers about the tradition of castells. What are they?
DO: The castells (human towers in Catalan) have been one of the most important cultural traditions in the region of Catalonia and have become part of the identity of Catalan people.
The castells are traditionally built-in festivities and competitions in the region of Catalonia in Spain. During these events, each team (known as colla) builds and dismantles its own human towers. For their success, a crowded and stunning base of hundreds of people needs to be previously perfectly set up.
One of the biggest human tower competitions in the world is named Concurs de Castells and takes place only once every two years in the city of Tarragona, with the participation of teams from all around the region.
CT: How many people participate in a castell?
DO: It depends on how many levels it has. Smaller towers can be built by 70 to 100 people, but bigger teams can build towers with more than 400 people.
CT: Where does this tradition originate from? Is it a popular tradition?
DO: The castells were born more than 200 years ago in the Catalan region of Tarragona. ‘Strength, balance, courage and common sense’ has become their motto. In 2010, the castells were declared by UNESCO to be amongst the Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.
CT: What attracted you to this subject?
DO: Its values. What they transmit is absolutely amazing. When you see all these men, women and children working and moving together, helping each other while they try to build and dismantle the tower, you feel astonished. However, I really believe you need to enjoy them in live to truly understand what they really are and what we, most of the Catalan people, feel when we build these towers. I absolutely recommend anybody to come to Catalonia and enjoy this tradition in person.
CT: How did you manage to capture the castellers in action?
DO: I have been taking pictures of castellers more than 10 years. During this time, I have learned how to move, where to go and where not to be if I want to get a good shoot of a casteller, or tower. It is not an easy job, since normally the places where human towers take place are quite packed with people. However, finally you get used to working in such a complicated (and amazing) environment. I guess the power of the event makes your work easier.
CT: The individual seems to disappear into the mass, the whole in these pictures. Is that what it’s like in a real castell?
In castells, the individual is absolutely nobody. Nothing is possible without team work. Nothing.
CT: What’s the best thing you saw while shooting the castells?
DO: I’ve been so lucky to have lived many marvellous moments photographing the castells. When you get close to take the picture, you can almost feel what they feel when the children get to the top of the tower, or even when they collapse. Everything is part of the tradition and I try to transform these emotions and feelings in pictures. The best thing is when your pictures make people get interested in castells.
CT: Did you ever see any castells collapse? Is it ever dangerous?
DO: Of course, many times. It is part of the tradition. Fortunately, the number of injuries during a human tower event is really low and all the teams are aware of the importance of safety.
CT: Have you ever participated in a castell? Would you want to?
DO: I have been part of a tower base sometimes. It is an impressive experience. However, I really feel that my place in a human tower event is anywhere behind my camera.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.