Menorca is brimming with things to do and places to see, so much so that 48 hours will probably not feel like enough time to fully immerse yourself in this Balearic beauty. We’ve whittled down some of our favourite recommendations, to help you squeeze as much of the good stuff as possible into a two-day break.
Breakfast at Bar Imperi
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Start your two-day extravaganza with an authentic Menorcan breakfast at this favourite locals’ haunt. Grab a seat outside overlooking the courtyard, dip your flakey ensaimada (pastry) into a freshly brewed cafe con leche and watch the city awaken.
Grab a Picnic for Later
Before heading out of Ciutadella for the day, pick up a picnic at Piqniq to take with you for when hunger strikes again. Borrow a cooler and load up with delectable salads, vegan burgers, veggie quiches and slabs of homemade banana bread to finish.
Take a Bus to the Beach
Some of the best beaches are surprisingly easy to reach by bus from the centre of Ciutadella. Cala Galdana is everything you want from a Balearic beach: soft white sand and calm clear waters, all framed with plenty of pine trees perfect for taking a break in the shade. Take a 25-minute hike along the coastal path to Cala Mitjana or kayak with a guide around the bay, exploring some caves and pausing to snorkel along the way.
Head Back to Ciutadella
Return to the island’s second city later in the afternoon for a wander around the cobbled streets of its pretty Old Town, shopping and drinking in the arch-covered lanes of Ses Voltes. One of the loveliest spots for a early evening tipple has to be on the harbour front. Sit waterside on the terrace at Bar Restaurant Club Nàutic Ciutadella and enjoy the sunset as it it bathes the bobbing boats in warm red light.
Cook Dinner for Yourself
One of the most novel ways to end the day in Ciutadella is to cook your own dinner at Cuk-Cuk. Learn how to rustle up a hearty Menorcan fish stew or an authentic paella and dine with your new co-chefs on long, social tables with a glass or two of locally produced wine.
Stay at Hotel Can Faustino
Why not bed down for the night at one of the most luxurious residences in the city? With gorgeous views overlooking the port, the stately 16th-century palace of Hotel Can Faustino is worthy of every one of its five stars. In the morning, take breakfast on the gorgeous vine-covered terraces and be sure to make use of the cave-like underground spa before you leave. Speak to reception about hiring a car for the day to give you better access to the rest of the island, and venture out of the city for day two of your Menorcan adventure.
One of the most popular excursions on the island is to see the spectacular quarries of Lithica. Carved out of sandstone, these magnificent cavernous spaces have been cultivated more recently into a series of gardens and mazes. Shaded paths wind through arches, past cooling fountains and little hidden gardens that showcase many species of native plants. There are four labyrinths to explore at Lithica, all of which meander through the quarries and the pretty gardens that have flourished within.
Lunch at El Gallo in Ferreries
For a really rustic and authentic Menorcan lunch, make your way along the country roads to the very special Meson El Gallo restaurant. Sit under a canopy of vines in the courtyard outside and order from a mouthwatering menu of traditional island fare. The beef in particular, prepared the same way for over 40 years, is the melt-in-the-mouth experience that steak lovers dream of.
Pick up Some Authentic Menorcan Sandals
While you’re in the area, swing by the famous Can Doblas store in Ferreries. No trip to Menorca is complete without the purchase (and wearing) of Avarca sandals. These classic shoes, made from soft leather and with sturdy rubber soles, are both perfect for hiking in the countryside, strolling on the beach and exploring pretty whitewashed towns.
Hike up El Toro
If you are feeling adventurous and in need of walking off some of that heavy lunch, go for a hike up to El Toro. The lookout from the top of this hill, located almost bang in the centre of the island, is quite spectacular. With breathtaking panoramic views that seem to stretch the length of the isle, you will not be disappointed after your efforts.
Head to Mahon
Approximately 45 minutes drive from Ciutadella lies Menorca’s only other city and the capital, Mahon. Check in here at the gorgeous and very cozy boutique hotel Jardí de Ses Bruixes. The beautiful interiors at this converted 19th-century townhouse are hard to beat. It’s situated in the heart of the Old Town, so you will find all the capital’s attractions within easy strolling distance.
Wander the Streets of Mahon
Check out the cathedral nearby for a dive into Mahon’s rich cultural history, or take a leisurely stroll down to the harbour. The tapas bars in Mercat de Pescados are a sure hit with many visitors. Soak up the atmosphere and rub shoulders with the locals while sipping on a chilled glass of Cava or two and eating some oysters.
Dinner at Mestre D’aixa
Still a little hungry? Take a pew at Mestre D’aixa, overlooking Mahon harbour. Perched directly opposite a line of super-yachts on the waterfront, and decorated like the inside hull of a ship, the nautical theme prevails here. Sloping walls, rope ladders, dangling fishing baskets and a fantastic array of fresh seafood on the newspaper-like menu all make for a novel and enjoyable dining experience.
Sunset Cocktails and Dancing
You must not leave the island without visiting the Cova D’en Xoroi, one of the most famous bars in the Balearics. This incredible venue is best enjoyed at dusk, when you can sit on the terrace, cocktail in hand, and admire the sunset as it dips into the horizon out at sea. Then head into the caverns (yes, literally) for a night of revelry and dancing as the DJ spins some tunes to an enthusiastic crowd. Just don’t get too carried away and forget that you have to catch your flight in the morning.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.