After a year of living in London for work, fashion designer Berta Cabestany moved back to her hometown of Barcelona to launch her namesake label, which is influenced by her personal heritage and the vibrancy of the city. Culture Trip asks what she find so inspiring about the city and gets her top tips on what to do and where to go.
Culture Trip: How does life in Barcelona differ to life in London?
Berta Cabestany: The atmosphere in Barcelona is partly what makes it such a great place to be – it’s relaxed in comparison to London and everything is only about 15 minutes away. It’s very cosmopolitan with a lot of modern architecture but it’s inspiring at the same time.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
CT: What makes it the perfect city for your label?
BC: I feel happy in Barcelona, which means I work more efficiently. Everything is inspiring: the art, the food, the beach. My collections lend themselves well to life in the sun – I think I would be more reserved with colour if I was working from London, but that’s what makes my designs reflective of their heritage.
CT: How would you describe the style in Barcelona?
BC: It’s effortless and casual just like the surroundings. I create oversized silhouettes that are well-suited to the heat and that feel comfortable but also look good.
CT: What three items should every fashion lover pack in their Barcelona suitcase?
BC: Sunglasses, a linen dress and a swimsuit – there aren’t many cities in the world that you get the option for a beach day on your doorstep as well so I’d definitely recommend making the most of it.
You may also like: The Style Edit: 36 Hours In Barcelona
CT: Where do you go for your morning coffee?
BC: Federal Café. The coffee is great and there’s an outdoor terrace if you’ve got the time to sit and ease yourself into the morning.
CT: What are your top 3 places to eat at in the city?
BC: Pez Vela under the W Hotel is right on the beach, Disfrutar, which means ‘enjoy’ in Spanish is also lovely – as you can imagine its really laidback. Tickets is a great tapas bar and La Balsa has leafy green interiors, which I love. That’s four, sorry. There are just too many to choose from!
CT: Where is your favourite spot to head to with your laptop?
BC: Cotton House is a stylish venue that you can chill at all day without feeling like you’re outstaying your welcome. I go there if I need to do a lot of admin.
CT: Where are the best places for people watching?
BC: Historical sites and museums are a great place to sit and watch people go about their day. I love the Picasso museum and the Santa María del Mar cathedral because they attract all sorts of tourists and locals every single day. Casa Batlló, one of Gaudi’s buildings, is also a good place to stop for a while, as is the inside of the old catholic church, Sagrada Familia.
CT: Where can you find the best views of the city?
BC: The top of the MNAC museum is a great spot but if you want to enjoy the view while having dinner or a drink then I recommend Bellavista del Jardin in the city.
CT: What are your favourite hidden fashion boutiques?
BC: NOTÉNOM is my favourite concept store and it stocks contemporary labels like Raf Simons and Moschino, but Els Encants is the city’s flea market and if you’ve got the patience to look through the stalls you can find some gems.
CT: Where do you go to unwind?
BC: Llafranc in the Costa Brava is simply beautiful.
Interested in learning more about Berta Cabestany? Check out more about her collections here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.