Think about Barcelona, and you think about Catalan Modernist architect Antoni Gaudí, who was responsible for designing many of the city’s most recognised landmarks. Take a virtual tour of the Catalan capital to see some of his most awe-inspiring buildings.
Antoni Gaudí was born in the Catalan town of Reus in 1852 and later moved to Barcelona to study teaching. There he became fascinated by the ideals of utopian socialism, and began to develop the idea of designing new buildings that would embody principles of equality and freedom. He went on to study architecture at the prestigious La Llotja school in Barcelona, the same school which would later receive a young Pablo Picasso.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Alongside his political convictions, Gaudí was a deeply religious individual, and was inspired by his faith and the teachings of the Catholic church throughout his life. He died alone on the streets of Barcelona after he was hit by a tram. No one came to his aid, as he was mistaken for a beggar because of his modest dress – unusual at a time when wealth tended to be displayed ostentatiously.
The most famous example of Gaudí’s work is the Sagrada Família, a spectacular church that has been under construction for over 100 years and yet, despite being incomplete, has already been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Its is Barcelona’s most popular tourist sight, attracting over 3 million visitors each year while also being used for masses and other religious celebrations.
Further out of town, on the outskirts of the neighbourhood of Gracià, lies the Park Güell, which has one of the most interesting stories of any Gaudí design. It was originally conceived as a new utopian housing estate based on the British garden city movement – hence the use of the English spelling ‘park’ instead of the Catalan ‘parc‘. After building a model home and the foundations for the marketplace, public square and recreational gardens, the project proved unsuccessful and was eventually abandoned. Later, the local council decided to open the space to the public and converted it into a park.
Much less famous is Bellesguard, a striking manor house that stands in the upmarket neighbourhood of Sarrià-Sant Gervasi. Erected on the site of a Medieval castle that had fallen into ruin, the building was designed as a second home for a rich local family. However, Gaudí spent so much time on the detail of the house that it wasn’t completed in time for the family to live there.
The Passeig de Gracià – Barcelona’s luxury shopping street – is home to two of Gaudí’s designs: the Casa Batlló and the Casa Milà. The Casa Batlló is one of the most iconic of all Gaudí’s buildings and a fine example of Catalan Modernism, boasting a colourful exterior and unique design that have earned it the nicknames of Casa del Drac, ‘house of the dragon’, and Casa dels Ossos, ‘house of bones’. A short walk up from the Casa Batlló takes you to the Casa Milà, popularly named La Pedrera – ‘the quarry’ – because of its striking rugged appearance.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.