While the sea offers easy access to great outdoor swimming in Catalonia, the region is actually home to some spectacular waterfalls too. Here are some of the best outdoor swimming spots to help you cool down near Barcelona in the summer months.
This hidden-gem waterfall is located near the small town of Cantonigrós to the north of Vic. To access it, look for the dirt path track which starts near the football pitch and follow it along for the best part of an hour until you arrive at the bottom of the waterfall. At certain times of day the sun beams through a hole in the surrounding mountain, creating a beautiful pool of light in the water.
Some 90 metres in height, the Salto del Sallent or ‘Jump of Sallent’ is one of the most dramatic waterfalls in Catalonia. To access the waterfall, head to the Medieval village of Rupit and follow the track which begins near the old brick bridge. Along the way you’ll find historic landmarks such as the Santa Magdalena hermitage and the hermitage of Sant Joan de Fàbregues. The best time of the year to visit the waterfall is in the autumn or spring, when the rain adds to the water flow for a more dramatic effect.
The Llobregat river is the second largest river in Catalonia, stretching from the pre-Pyrenees mountains to the Mediterranean sea where it ends its course near the Barcelona airport in El Prat de Llobregat. The source of the river can be found in the Serra del Cadí mountain range, more specifically about 1km away from the town of Castellar de n’Hug to the Fuentes del Llobregat waterfall. Here the water bursts through the cracks of the rock and down into the valley to commence its journey towards the sea.
Moli Del Murri
La Garrotxa is an important volcanic area located to the north of Catalonia and is appreciated both for its stunning natural beauty and its rich culinary culture. The Moli del Muri waterfall is one of the best kept secrets of this area, surrounded by dense forests and majestic hills. To access the waterfall, make your way to the town of Planes d’Hostoles from which you will find a sign indicating the route which can also be reached by car.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This route takes you along not just one but seven waterfalls, hence the Catalan name ‘Ruta del 7 Gorgs‘ meaning ‘Route of the Seven Gorges’. The track begins in the village of Campdevànol, in the countryside near the city of Girona and runs for around 10km. The waterfalls are different in size and depth but there are some great opportunities for those who like high jumps as well as those who prefer to lay around in the sun.
Also located in La Garrotxa volcanic area, the Gorg de Santa Margarida can actually be accessed on the way to see the Moli del Muri fountain mentioned above. The elevation of the waterfall is not as high as its neighbour and a little less dramatic, but it is nonetheless well worth a visit for the peacefulness and beauty of the wildlife surrounding it. This is a great waterfall to access any time of the year, as each season creates a different scenery.
Legend has it this waterfall was once the home of witches and other mythical creatures. While these curious inhabitants appear to be all gone today, the Gorg dela Malatosca still retains a magical feel thanks to the beauty of its surroundings. The waterfall can be found a long the route known the Iron and Coal route which unites Ripoll and the town of Sant Joan de les Abadesses i Ogassa, just a few hundred metres of the main track as it enters the village.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.