Uncover the beauty of Madrid by taking part in these cultural experiences, giving you insight into the Spanish capital and all that it has to offer. From dancing to cooking, discover Madrid with Culture Trip’s list of the best experiences.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Art and culture experiences in Madrid
Flamenco show at Café Ziryab
Discover the passion of flamenco on your visit to the capital. From the swift movements of the dancers’ gyrating bodies to the slap of the twanging guitars, this 80-minute extravaganza brings the sweeping scope of the traditional dance to life. Set in the charming Café Ziryab, the show comes with a complimentary drink and tapas is also available.
Salsa lovers’ dancing experience
Spanish culture is intertwined with salsa – one of the world’s most intimate dances. This experience is for all abilities, novices and experts, as your host leads the group from one venue to the next, highlighting the most popular dance clubs and nightlife hangouts in Madrid. While no drinks are included in the ticket price, each location has an on-site cash bar to purchase refreshments. The host will remain nearby on each dance floor to show you around the venue and to teach you a few new moves along the way.
Opera and zarzuela show and dinner
This three-hour evening at La Castafiore treats diners to a meal and a musical show in the heart of Madrid. Here, you’ll enjoy traditional Spanish cuisine, including omelettes and baby eels with clams, and a host of drink options (beer, wine, coffee, sodas) as the waitstaff belt out operatic songs and traditional zarzuela musical-comedy numbers. Prepare to be put on the spot, as the show includes a lot of audience interaction that brings dinner guests into the performance.
Extreme sports and adventure days in Madrid
Hot-air balloon, city tour and Iberian food tasting in Segovia
Discover the ancient city of Segovia, located approximately one hour from central Madrid. Begin the day with a one-hour hot-air balloon tour of the Iberian countryside. The flight offers unrivalled views of the Roman-built aqueduct, the city’s Gothic cathedral (the first such structure in Spain) and the Alcázar Real Fortress. Commemorate your aerial journey with a champagne breakfast. Next, embark on a minibus tour around Segovia, getting up-close views of the aqueduct, cathedral and fortress. Finish off your day with a traditional Iberian feast of cochinillo segoviano (suckling pig) before heading back to Madrid.
Treasure hunt experience
Compete against friends and family in a fun treasure hunt on the streets of Madrid. The itinerary begins at the famed Puerta del Sol, where you’ll meet your guide and get to grips with the game. The first riddle is nearby and takes your group on a journey that leads to local sights, points of interest and even a couple of bars – the ticket price includes a beer or wine at each of the two bar destinations.
Caving in Madrid National Park
Including hotel pickup, this experience takes you one hour outside of Madrid to The Witch’s Cave. The tour includes a 30-metre (100-foot) descent from the walkable entrance to three floors of tunnels, chambers and various wall formations. But fear not, your guides provide safety instruction, as well as all the equipment necessary to comfortably enjoy the caving experience. Prepare to get a little dirty, since conditions inside the cave can be wet.
Cookery classes in Madrid
Two-and-a-half-hour tapas cooking class
This foodie experience allows visitors to sample and learn how to recreate 10 tapas-style dishes from traditional recipes spanning the whole of Spain. These traditional dishes include gilda (skewers of pepper and anchovy) from the Basque Country and pan tumaca (bruschetta) from Catalonia. The guided cooking session is a great chance to enjoy an authentic meal paired with bold Spanish wines.
Half-day Spanish cooking course
If two and a half hours of instruction would leave you wanting, this half-day intensive Spanish cooking course will slake your need for knowledge. This four-hour intensive class has multiple starting times for your convenience. Those who partake in the morning class will begin their gastronomical experience in Madrid by heading out to a local market to pick up the freshest and most vibrant ingredients available. The class is conveniently located in Madrid’s historic centre and is ideal for pairing with light sightseeing either before or after the session. Drinks are offered with each meal, and guests leave with a recipe booklet to continue their cooking journey at home.
Here’s what else you can do in Madrid
Five-hour pub crawl
One of the most difficult parts of visiting a new city is deciding which places to go and which places to skip. This five-hour late-night pub crawl takes away the guesswork and offers an itinerary of the best bars and clubs in the Spanish capital. Join a crowd of like-minded partygoers embarking into the night for revelry and a lifetime of memories. Your ticket includes skip-the-line access to each club, as well as drink discounts and a free shot at each bar.
Horse riding and polo
The sport of polo has wide appeal across the world and, with this experience, can be learned and possibly mastered in the middle of your Spanish holiday. This activity begins with a tour of the Los Mariachis Polo Club, just outside Madrid, after which the expert polo players assess your skill level. Lessons in tricks and tips for the game follow before you are placed on a real horse and allowed to participate in a full-on polo match.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.