Spain has emerged from a crippling economic crisis into a confident new era, where startups are flourishing and the country is full of talent, creativity and ingenious tech ideas. From secret weekend breaks to the best apps for job and flat hunting, we take a look at some of the most exciting Spanish startups you should be keeping an eye on right now.
Glovo, founded in 2015 in Barcelona, is a delivery service that aims to make life easier for the modern man and woman. Anything you need can be brought to your door in under an hour thanks to Glovo’s app and team of couriers, known as ‘glovers’. Use the app to connect to local couriers, who pick up and deliver everything, whether you want your lunch delivered or you need someone to pop to the pharmacy for you or pick up an urgent package, for a fixed fee of €5.50. Glovo is currently available in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Zaragoza, Seville and Malaga as well as internationally in Paris and Milan.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This virtual marketplace, which allows users to sell and trade their second-hand goods, has enjoyed plenty of success since it was founded in 2013. Its founders wanted to invent a mobile marketplace that made selling and trading as easy as tapping a button. Today, the Wallapop community has 30 million users, who have reused over 3.5 million products, from cars and motorbikes to clothes, books and video games.
Typeform was founded in Barcelona in 2012 by Robert Muñoz and David Okuniev. The company produces creative, beautiful and – as it points out on its website – more ‘human’ forms for companies as diverse and global as the Financial Times, Airbnb and Facebook. Typeform offers easily customisable forms, surveys and quizzes that make it easy for companies to interact with people online, whether they want engaging job application forms or forms offering friendly customer feedback.
The Wonder Trip
The Wonder Trip aims to make weekend breaks hassle free – and add an element of suspense to your time away – by organising a surprise trip. Sign up on the website, and choose either the €149 or €199 option, then the startup will do the rest, booking your flight and hotel in a mystery location. For €199 per person, you could have four days and three nights in locations including Rome, Prague and Tangiers. The trips are currently available out of Madrid, Barcelona, Malaga and Amsterdam. You can tick a range of cities that interest you, so you will be guaranteed a long weekend somewhere you do actually want to visit; you will find out exactly where 24 to 72 hours before your departure.
This Spanish startup success offers long term home rentals for people looking for apartments or houses for longer than one month. The company was founded by Alejandro Artacho who launched in Spain because of its popularity with study-abroad students and foreign expats. Unlike Airbnb, which caters mainly to travellers, Spotahome takes the place of the traditional estate agent, cutting out the middle man and showing available homes via its website and app. The startup won the grand prize at the 2016 South Summit startup conference.
Employment app Cornerjob makes recruiting easy by using up to the minute technology to allow companies to create a profile in less than a minute and publish their job offer in a tweet-like 140 characters. Chat functions allow companies to talk directly with potential candidates, who can pinpoint jobs by geographic location and job sector on the app. There has been a lot of buzz about Cornerjob in tech media and the startup secured another $19 million of funding in early 2017, with which it aims to expand into new markets and focus on product development.
This Madrid-based startup is shaking up the marketing world by connecting companies to powerful ‘influencers’, i.e. people with huge social media followings who can provide great exposure for products via their channels. Brands can use Influencity to search the most relevant influencers by location, age, language and even audience data. The startup has worked with brands such as MTV, Sony, JustEat and Uber.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.