Valencia has a proud literary tradition, as you might guess from the huge number of bookshops in the city. As well as being the home of numerous prolific Spanish writers and poets over the centuries, the atmospheric city has been the inspiration for everything from contemporary fiction to historical records. Read on for our selection of some of the best reads to give you a taste of the city before your visit.
Cañas y barro by Vicente Blasco Ibáñez
One of the city’s most prolific writers of all time, Vicente Blasco Ibáñez, wrote this novel at the turn of the last century. It tells the story of a Spanish family living in the countryside near the famous Albufera lake, now a popular tourist destination. The book is considered to be one of the 100 best Spanish novels of the 20th century, as Blasco Ibáñez paints such a vivid portrait of Valencian life at the time.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cuentos Valencianos by Vicente Blasco Ibáñez
As well as novels, Vicente Blasco Ibáñez was also an avid writer of short stories. Cuentos Valencianos (Valencian Tales) is a collection of 12 short stories set in, or related to the Valencian region. The stories were first published separately in the El Pueblo newspaper, and later collected in this book in 1919. As well as focusing on local traditions and dealing with a spectrum of human emotions, the stories provide a historical look at the city and, being so widely known, have themselves become part of the Valencian cultural identity.
The Perfume Garden by Kate Lord Brown
This international bestseller is set high in the hills above Valencia, in a crumbling house left forgotten since the days of Franco. Emma Temple, London’s leading perfumer, is the first to visit the place in 70 years and she’s determined to restore it to its former glory, making a lush, atmospheric setting for a tale of lost love, family secrets and, of course, the art of creating the perfect perfume.
A Death in Valencia by Jason Webster
Lovers of more contemporary fiction can get a glimpse of modern-day Valencia—especially its hidden darker side—in the crime fiction novels of Jason Webster. It’s a far cry from the usual feel-good vacation reading, as his Spanish detective, Inspector Max Cámara, becomes caught up in a web of lies and corruption after a body is found washed up on the beach. In this very Valencian take on crime fiction, the body turns out to be that of a famous paella chef, and part of the action takes place in his Valencian paella restaurant.
Or the Bull Kills You by Jason Webster
The first of the books in the Max Cámara detective series is an intense portrait of Valencian life. Despite his hatred of bullfighting, the detective leads the murder investigation of a famous matador, found dead in the middle of Valencia’s famous bullring. This brings up not only personal issues from the past but confrontations with local politicians and the bullfighting community. Plus, the chaos of Las Fallas, Valencia’s huge fire festival, has just begun. This is a must-read if you’re visiting for the festival.
The Scent of Lemon Leaves by Clara Sanchez
A perfect expats-in-Spain novel centering on 30-year-old Sandra, who has relocated, for the moment, to a Spanish village. She hopes the peace and quiet will allow her to rethink her life, yet the characters she meets here reveal that the place is not quite as it seems, and she soon finds herself entangled in mystery and searching for the truth.
The Borgias, The Hidden History by G. J. Meyer
This book tells the surprising truth about members of the infamous Borgia family, one of the most notorious dynasties in history. They came from obscurity in Spain to take center-stage in the blood-drenched Italian Renaissance period, seizing power—including the papacy not once, but twice—through any means necessary. But is their bloodthirsty reputation deserved, or even accurate? Painstaking research and vivid storytelling bring this family’s legacy—much of which can still be seen in Valencia—to life.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.