Located just off La Rambla in the old town, La Boquería is Barcelona’s world-famous food market. Here are 25 images that prove that this is possibly one of the best foodie paradises on earth.
There’s an incredibly buzzing atmosphere which is tangible as soon as you step in to La Boquería market.
You can find pretty much any kind of dried fruit and nut you could want, including papaya, confit ginger and the juiciest dates and figs.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The fruit stalls sell pretty much every kind of exotic fruit you can think of, such as custard apples, dragon fruit, persimmon and plantain.
There are strawberries that actually taste like strawberries, not just versions grown in a greenhouse…
…and tomatoes that taste like tomatoes.
If you can’t wait until you get home to tuck in, then there are fresh fruit bowls to eat on the go, full of juicy strawberries, tangy pineapple and sweet oranges.
If you’re a fan of juices then you might want to grab one of the freshly made fruit juices and smoothies to keep you cool while you shop.
If you’ve got a sweet tooth there are plenty of fruit flavoured sweets – and some pretty crazy-flavored ones too – to choose from as well.
Or you can opt for these sweet offerings, made using rich chocolate and a mixture of dried fruits and nuts.
There’s fresh fish arriving straight from the nearby coastline from Monday to Saturday – look out for a clear eye, shiny skin and undamaged fins.
There are more types of seafood on offer than you thought existed: sea snails, barnacles and urchins are just the beginning.
There are some pretty impressive-looking creatures on offer for adventurous eaters. This octopus is a fine specimen.
Did someone say charcuterie? Spain makes a great a variety of different salted, cured and preserved meat products which can all be found at the market.
Of course when it comes to Spanish cured meats, jamón Iberico is king. At the market you can buy vacuum-packed slices to take away or even whole legs.
There are spices from every corner of the world ready to buy in small or large quantities.
Be sure to pick up some Spanish saffron, a key ingredient in traditional dishes such as paella.
If you like hot spicy food, there’s a plethora of different fresh and dried chillies to choose from, including a few you’d have to be mad to try.
Mushroom season brings everything from truffles to morels and more to the vegetable stalls of La Boquería.
Watch out for these mushrooms in particular which are called rovellons in Catalan and are a local delicacy.
There’s more than just fresh ingredients on offer at La Boquería thanks to the market restaurants serving up authentic tapas.
And there’s no question about it: you really need to try some fresh grilled prawns, crayfish or lobster while you’re there.
The market restaurants are a great place to rub shoulders with the locals and ask for tips on what to buy and where.
For something on the go, try a freshly-baked empanada or stuffed pastry to keep your energy levels up.
At the bakery stalls you’ll find crusty bread baked fresh every day.
And did we mention that there were so many picture-perfect spots that you won’t know what to Instagram first?
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.