As a celebration of LGBT Pride Month, apartment rental company Nestpick have released the results of a study ranking the most LGBT-friendly cities in the world. According to the list, the best destinations are those which have tolerant laws towards the LGBT community, an active dating scene, a rich variety of nightclubs, an open-minded local community and sufficient levels of safety. Madrid took the top spot, while over half of the top 10 were European cities.
1. Madrid, Spain
Widely regarded as one of Europe’s most tolerant cities, Madrid took first place as the best LGBT location in the world. What really swung the balance in its favour is the overwhelming openness of the Madrileño community. Gay couples are free to walk the streets without fear of persecution and there is absolutely no stigma surrounding public displays of affection.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
While Chueca is the most traditionally LGBT neighbourhood in Madrid, gay culture and nightlife can be found all over the city. There are many LGBT-specific bars and clubs, but gay culture certainly has its own place in Madrid’s culture as a whole.
LGBT festivals are organised throughout the year, but the highlight is Madrid’s Pride Parade in summer, the largest of its kind in Europe and 2nd biggest in the world (only losing out to São Paulo). This year, the city was chosen to host the World Pride festival, attracting millions of visitors.
2. Amsterdam, Netherlands
Amsterdam has always had an excellent reputation for being one of the world’s most open and culturally liberal cities, making it a great place for LGBT travellers. Regarded as the birthplace of gay rights, the Netherlands has a long history of LGBT advocacy, from decriminalising homosexuality in 1811 and being the first country in the world to legalise same-sex marriage, in 2001.
As well as being an excellent place to live, Amsterdam is incredibly friendly for LGBT tourists. On the Westermarkt, travellers can visit the Pink Point, which is a gay and lesbian tourist information centre providing all sorts of information on the best gay bars and festivals going on in the city.
3. Toronto, Canada
The highest entry outside of Europe, Toronto is wonderfully accepting and progressive, being receptive to all kinds of different cultures and social groups. With discrimination against the LGBT community remaining a real problem in North America, Toronto has taken upon itself to stamp out homophobia and is one of the most politically active cities in the world in regards to gay rights.
Neighbourhoods such as Church and Wellesley Village are havens for people of all different identities and the city has a thriving LGBT nightlife.
4. Tel Aviv, Israel
The second-largest city in Israel, Tel Aviv stands out as the only Asian representative in the top 60 LGBT-friendly cities and the only one from the Middle East. In comparison to the surrounding region, Israel’s LGBT legislation is fairly strong. For example, same-sex couples are free to adopt children and same-sex marriages are recognised in the country, although they must be performed outside of Israel.
Tel Aviv’s gay community is huge (an estimated 25% of the entire population) and it is an integral part of the city’s culture. There are no gay neighbourhoods per se, instead, the whole of Tel Aviv is, for lack of a better term, a bit gay. The LGBT nightlife is some of the liveliest in the world, while the city stood out on Nestpick’s study for having one of the lowest rates of hate crimes.
5. London, UK
As one of Europe’s most cosmopolitan cities, it stands to reason that London is also one of the world’s best destinations for LGBT travellers. While rising rents have caused some of the city’s most traditional gay bars to close (a phenomenon not restricted to the LGBT community), London’s LGBT scene remains vast and incredibly diverse.
The city’s population is largely open-minded and progressive, and while London fell slightly short in relation to other destinations on this list due to its less-than-perfect hate crime figures, it is still an excellent place to visit or live for all gay, lesbian and transgender people.
6. Berlin, Germany
With arguably the best nightlife in the world and an incredibly active LGBT dating scene, it is no surprise to find Berlin this high up in the ranking. The population as a whole is very accepting and tolerant and LGBT festivals are a huge part of the city’s culture.
Though German people are supportive of LGBT rights, the political class remains quite conservative. Same-sex marriage is illegal and there are a number of restrictions on adoption by same-sex couples, which is the only thing standing in the way of Berlin being the world’s absolute best LGBT destination.
7. Brighton, UK
The second British city on this list is Brighton, often referred to as the ‘gay capital of the UK‘. Brighton has one of the largest gay communities in relation to the city’s size, as well as a nightlife which has always incorporated LGBT culture. The city has tons of LGBT-specific bars, pubs, clubs and hotels, while Brighton Pride is the UK’s largest LGBT Pride celebration.
8. Barcelona, Spain
With an LGBT nightlife and dating scene to rival their cousins in Madrid, Barcelona has long been regarded as among the best LGBT destinations on the planet. As well as being a gorgeous place to visit for any traveller, Barcelona offers all sorts of LGBT-specific attractions, especially in the Eixample district.
9. New York City, USA
New York City has always been one of the most important world centres of LGBT culture and gay rights. The Stonewall Riots in Greenwich Village in 1969 are widely regarded as the starting point of the modern LGBT rights movement and the city has since been a hub for LGBT Pride. NYC has the largest gay community in the United States, and Nestpick’s study regarded it having the best and most active LGBT dating scene.
10. San Francisco, USA
San Francisco has a long, rich tradition of embracing LGBT culture. Known as the ‘original gay-friendly city’, there is no more open-minded and accepting city in the world. The Castro is known around the globe as being one of the most vibrant ‘gaybourhoods’ and the city as a whole organises countless LGBT festivals throughout the year.
11. Paris, France
Besides being one of the most popular tourist destinations, Paris is also one of Europe’s LGBT capitals, with a huge gay community and an endless list of LGBT-friendly bars, clubs, hotels and restaurants. Arrondissements one through four are packed with LGBT businesses, and the historic La Marais district is the city’s most popular gay village.
12. Montreal, Canada
As one of North America’s most diverse cities, Montreal fully deserves its place on this list as Canada’s second representative. The city’s famous Le Village Gai (Gay Village) is one of the continent’s largest gay districts and is closed to traffic throughout summer, making it a wonderful destination for LGBT travellers.
13. Manchester, UK
Made famous by the cult TV drama series Queer as Folk at the end of the 1990s, Manchester’s LGBT community is one of the largest and most vibrant in the UK. The city’s LGBT nightlife is centered on Canal Street, the pedestrianised street alongside the Rochdale Canal which is lined with gay bars and restaurants. The surrounding Gay Village is also full of LGBT-friendly hotels, making it an ideal spot for tourists visiting the UK.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.