Russians love eating strange food, even though some of it may not be the most beautiful. However, intrepid travellers in St Petersburg who are willing to look past appearances and indulge in some local favourites should give these a try. They won’t disappoint!
Where to eat salo
In a nutshell, salo is a slab of pig fat. In Russian, and in many Eastern European cuisines, it is used as a cooking ingredient, but can also serve as a delicious snack. There are many ways to eat salo – it can be smoked, fried, salted or braised. Usually eaten on a piece of bread with some greens or onions on top, a salo sandwich is a common snack to have with a shot of vodka. Try it at a place specialising in salo, such as Korchma Salo café, in St Petersburg.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Korchma Salo – 36 Liteyny Prospekt, St Petersburg, Russia, +7 812 579 24 02
Where to eat pirozhki
Pirozhki are a traditional addition to Russian meals. They are made of rich dough with sweet and savoury fillings. The hearty meat ones can be eaten with soups, and sweet ones with tea. You could say it’s a must that every mother in Russia knows how to make these at home, but for those who haven’t mastered it just yet, there are plenty places to get them already made. The Troika bakery is one of the many places around town that serves great pirozhki in a variety of flavours.
Troika – 27 Zagorodny Prospekt, St Petersburg, Russia, +7 812 407 53 43
Where to eat vobla
Vobla is a type of dried and salted fish that may look unattractive, but in fact makes for a perfect beer snack. It is a very common fish in the Volga river, in fact so common that there was an overflow in them. Later, vobla became a product that was salted and stored for the winter. Coincidently, the salty flavour worked excellently with beer and became an easy and cheap snack in the Soviet era. Now it is less typical to find it in pubs, as modern pub grub takes it place. Still, pubs like Pobeda, remain loyal to the tradition and still serve vobla with a cold pint.
Pobeda – 159 Moskovsky Prospekt, St Petersburg, Russia, +7 921 951 34 90
Where to eat kholodets
When describing what kholodets is, the best way to put it into words is meat jelly with bits and pieces floating in it. While it may not sound like the most appealing dish, Russians have been eating it since the 16th century. The ingredients that should be ideally found in the perfect kholodets are cow head, cow brains and all four legs. Other parts of the cow are also acceptable. Paying homage to this traditional dish, the fashionable Probka restaurant serves the famous Russian kholodets according to all rules and regulations.
Probka – 6 Dobrolubova Prospekt, St Petersburg, Russia, +7 812 918 69 10
Where to eat tongue
Oh yes, tongue. Russians love eating it. Cooking beef tongue is actually fairly lengthy process, but the end result is a very soft meat, best eaten cold with a pinch of salt. If you’re ready to take bite, then head over to Tartarbar – a meat-lovers’ paradise. Here you can find all parts of animals served up in interesting dishes. Beef tongue is also on the menu and paired with stracciatella cheese. An unusual, but delicious combination.
Tartarbar – 15 Vilenskiy Pereulok, St Petersburg, Russia, +7 911 922 56 06
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.