Beyond its historical and cultural significance, St. Petersburg is renowned for its exquisite cuisine. St. Petersburg’s food scene effortlessly blends the city’s historic past with more modern re-interpretations of classic dishes. In this guide, The Culture Trip takes you to Russia’s cultural center to find some of the best restaurants and cafés around.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The first ever restaurant of Russian cuisine in St. Petersburg was located in the building on Nevsky Prospect, where Palkin now resides. Former patrons have included Dostoevsky, Leskov, Saltykov-Shchedrin, Chekhov, Mendeleev, Tchaikovsky and other famous Russians. Modern Palkin is no less luxurious, with its palace style interior, wooden flooring, moldings, shining chandeliers and wall frescoes. Palkin’s kitchen is internationally renowned for its innovative interpretation of food. A visit to the restaurant will equal a meeting with the history of aristocratic Russian cuisine.
Art Café Kommunalka
Art Café Kommunalka is a charming venue that is full of the cozy spirit of St. Petersburg. The menu offers meals of contemporary Russian cuisine with unique names, some of which are dedicated to popular Soviet film titles. Kommunalka often holds themed events and festivals, such as the costume party on Student Day or the First of April celebration. Art Café Kommunalka promotes cultural education, and often features live music performances, such as saxophone or piano performances.
Philibert has earned the reputation of being a hospitable café, not only because of its friendly service but also because of the interior: panoramic windows, furniture made of light wood, wrought iron framed mirrors, white shelves, and chandeliers refer to classic interiors of French Provence. The menu echoes the Provençal mood of the restaurant. You will find five types of quiche, onion soup, salad Nicoise and frog legs stewed in a citrus sauce.
The first restaurant in St. Petersburg to be fully dedicated to vegan and raw diets, Ukrop is a place with delicious food. Here you can indulge on vegan-friendly dishes made from minimal ingredients, but only from natural products. Ukrop has developed an approach of austerity and minimalism, visible in everything from their menu to the interior: white walls, plenty of herbs and plants, and chalkboards are main design elements of the venue.
L’Europe Restaurant is the oldest serving restaurant in St. Petersburg, providing one of the best classic gourmet experiences in the city. The restaurant features an Art Nouveau interior designed by architect Karl Makkenezen and built in 1905. Famous people who had sumptuous dinners here include: Elizabeth II, Tchaikovsky, former president Bill Clinton, Michael Douglas and Elton John. Without a doubt, this is one of the centers of elite life in Russia’s cultural capital. Restaurant L’Europe has won The Superiority Awards in 2008, 2009 and 2010, from the authoritative American publication Wine Spectator for having one of the most impressive wine lists in the world. The fabulous breakfast buffet served in the restaurant every morning was recognized as one of the most succulent in the world by the magazine Wow-travel for its majestic grand hall and endless buffet settings.
Zoom Café opened its doors in 2004 and its philosophy has been focused on providing a comfortable and home-like retreat for those who spend most of their day in the city center. Zoom Café became an instant success with residents and travelers alike. The meals served at Zoom are simple; while the venue is divided into three halls, which feature comfortable sofas, wooden tables and stuffed animals. There are bookshelves with magazines in Russian and foreign languages and games such as checkers, chess and bingo – all to provide you comfortable leisure and to brighten up your mood.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.