If it so happens that you are in St Petersburg for a longer period of time, it is well worth considering a weekend trip out of the city. St Petersburg is not only well connected to other cities in Russia, but it also offers a variety of overseas destinations within easy reach. Here is a selection of trips that will make for a perfect weekend getaway.
The first choice of weekend destination from St Petersburg is Russia’s capital, Moscow. The city has much to offer and will keep visitors busy not only for a weekend but for over a week. A trip to Moscow should start around the iconic Red Square where you can see the Kremlin and St Basil’s Cathedral and visit Lenin’s Mausoleum. There are many museums that cater toward the interests of art fans, history addicts and those with literature interests. If you’re pressed for time, the Tretyakov Gallery is the most renowned in Moscow, containing a large collection of Russian art. There are various ways to get to Moscow from St Petersburg, but the easiest and fastest is taking the high-speed train, Sapsan, connecting these two cities.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Veliky Novgorod is a city of great importance to the history of Russia. At its height, Veliky Novgorod was the capital of the Novgorod Republic, the cradle of Russian democracy. The city has also served as a defence line between Sweden and Russia. Numerous times the rulers of Novgorod have led their people into battle, often coming out victorious. Among the main landmarks of Novgorod is the Novgorod Kremlin, a fortress surrounded by a moat dating back to the 15th century. Novgorod is also home to one of the oldest cathedrals in Russia, the Cathedral of St Sophia, dating back to the 11th century. In a nutshell, there is much to be discovered here by history lovers. There are trains that travel between Veliky Novgorod and St Petersburg, with a journey time of around three hours depending on the number of stops.
Pskov may be a small city, but it boasts hundreds of years of history. Pskov served as a cultural and religious centre, as many of rulers of old Russia were born here. Among the major landmarks is the undefeated Pskov Kremlin, which allegedly surrendered only once and only because of treason from within its walls. It also remains a centre for pilgrimage, as many Orthodox Christians come to worship the holy places here, such as the Pskovo-Pechersky monastery. Many literature lovers are also attracted by this destination to complete a literary pilgrimage. The Pushkinskiye Gori locality is located just outside of Pskov. It is the final resting place of renowned Russian poet Alexander Pushkin and also a place where he completed a number of his works.
The route to Helsinki from St Petersburg is a very popular one. For instance, many Russians like to travel to Finland to go shopping, but many also appreciate a change of scenery for the weekend. Those who arrive by train (although there are many other ways to travel) will come into Helsinki central station. It is worth spending a day here exploring the city and admiring landmarks such as Helsinki Cathedral. An experience not to miss, though, is a trip outside of the cities to admire the beautiful nature of Finland. For tourists and locals, there are a number of spa hotels where you can unwind for a weekend, enjoy nature walks and simply the peace and quiet. In the winter, Finland turns into a winter wonderland. It is common practice to rent a cottage in the woods, where you can enjoy fun in the snow during the day and then unwind in the sauna in the evenings.
Although St Petersburg and Stockholm are not connected by land, it is still a very popular weekend getaway. Most visitors from St Petersburg come by ferry, spending one night in Helsinki prior to arriving. It’s a quick and convenient way to travel, and since you spend the nights on board, there’s no need to worry about accommodation. While you’re there make sure to wander around the hilly cobblestoned streets of the old city, popping into cafes along the way. Also if you’re travelling with kids, a popular attraction is the Vasa Museum housed in a 17th-century ship. And for the ABBA fans out there, Stockholm has an ABBA Museum filled with band memorabilia.
The capital of Estonia, Tallinn, is a historic city perfect for a weekend getaway. It contains a mix of medieval architecture combined with and modern food and restaurant scene. The highlight of a visit to Tallinn is walking through the historic city centre, where you can see the town hall, along with remains of the city walls and its towers. In the upper part of town, you will see the Toompea Castle, the seat of the Estonian Parliament. If you have an extra day to spare, travel outside Tallinn to spend some time enjoying nature and take leisurely strolls through the Estonian wilderness, admiring the forests and lakes. There is a selection of ways to get to Tallinn from St Petersburg, the most popular and cheapest being by bus.
Minsk is a city yet to be discovered by tourists, making it a great place if you want to enjoy a new city without crowds of people at every landmark. In the daytime, you can enjoy walks along the river and admire the grandeur of the Soviet architecture, and in the evening discover new restaurants and bars. That being said, there are restrictions on foreigners travelling from Minsk back into Russia via road or rail. It is highly recommended to check with your local embassy before you travel.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.