A trip to Minsk may not be on everyone’s bucket list, but it is a stop well worth considering if the opportunity arises. Belarus has much to offer, especially the peace and quiet of a non-touristy city. Being within easy reach of St Petersburg, Minsk can make for a pleasant day trip or transit destination.
Why you should travel to Minsk
Minsk is a city still developing its tourist potential and is not at the top of the list of tourist destinations. Although it may not be worth dedicating a whole trip for, Minsk makes an interesting transit destination when en route to Russia or Europe. Minsk is a great place to admire a blend of Soviet architecture with modern cafés and restaurants. It is also a destination where you can stay out of the tourist crowds.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
What you need to know
Although Russia and Belarus were once part of the Soviet Union, they are now two separate countries. Unfortunately, that means that most people who need to get a Russian visa will also have to get a Belorussian one. Transit visas are available if you are travelling from Minsk to a third country. If you are making a round trip, a proper visa is required along with a multi-entry visa into Russia as well. It is useful to remember that although Belorussian currency is also called ‘rouble’, it is not the same as the Russian rouble.
Hop aboard the blue train
The train from St Petersburg to Minsk has been reliably operating for many years. It is an overnight train, so most departures will be during the late afternoon, arriving in Minsk the next morning. There are two types of compartments available: one is a berth in an open-plan carriage, the other is a private compartment with four berths. The prices are usually 3,797 roubles (50 euros / $58 US) for the former and 5,861 roubles for the latter (80 euros / $93 US). It is recommended that you contact the nearest Russian embassy for advice on the current immigration situation for re-entering Russia. Travel to Belarus should not be difficult.
Get there quick and easy by plane
The flights between St Petersburg and Minsk are easy and quick – about one hour and 30 minutes of travel time. The flights, usually operated by local airline companies, have a frequent schedule and are the most efficient way of getting to Minsk. The price is also not dissimilar to the train because a one-way ticket costs around 5,000 roubles (70 euros / $82 US). There is also no known impediment to foreigners flying between the two countries, so it is also the most reliable way to travel.
How to not travel to Minsk
Foreigners travelling between the Russian and Belorussian border in any direction by road are very likely to experience difficulties and will not be allowed to pass. It is not a matter of comfort or bad roads, but a legal impediment. The Russian government has issued a law that prohibits third country citizens from crossing the border. To avoid any negative experiences when travelling between the two countries, it is recommended to seek advice prior to travelling.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.