While some will say that Russia 2018 is all about the football, deep down we know it’s really about the kits on show. We’ve picked out the best, whether it’s to show your support, wear at training or improve your wardrobe.
Few will know the colour ‘EQT green’ by name, but there is something immediately recognisable about this German offering. Just a glimpse of this beauty conjures up memories of Klinsmann, Matthäus and Brehme et al and Die Mannschaftof the early 1990s.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
No list of footballing style is complete without the French. Consistently at the top of the pile, their output has been exceptional for the last decade. While this doesn’t quite reach the Breton stripe pinnacle (more of which later) of a few years back, it’s still packed full of Gallic charm.
The design template may be exactly the same as Argentina’s away shirt, but incorporating it into Colombia’s vivid yellow takes it from good to great. Heavily influenced by the country’s Italia 90 kit, this features more navy (to match the shorts) compared to the original’s heavy red. Either way, it’s a handsome devil.
Nigeria have won the World Cup before a ball has even been kicked. Just look at it – and yet there’s absolutely no way this lime-green, mini-chevron design has any right to look as good as it does. Although the basic template is the same as all the Nike kits across the board, it stands out far beyond its rivals. Daring and utterly brilliant.
Among the greatest football kits of all time, Peru’s home shirt from the 1970s would comfortably make most people’s top five and if it aint broke, don’t fix it. If only more kits were designed by Umbro, because they rarely get it wrong. Clearly, we’re all a sucker for a sash, and few compare to this. Well, maybe their away kit…
Everyone’s second favourite team have the same design template for their home, away and goalkeeper shirts. So rather than opt for the home or away (blue and white), the contrast of this red option gives the blue shoulders some extra pop.
Describing Mexico’s away shirt to someone who hadn’t seen it wouldn’t immediately instil excitement, but this understated effort looks like a modern classic in the making. Connoisseurs will appreciate the nod to the 1950s.
All of Puma’s World Cup alternate kits for 2018 are white, with coloured detailing (depending on the respective side’s home kit), but Serbia’s has the added bonus of the country’s flag running down the middle of the shirt’s front. Simple but elegant.
The powder blue-and-white stripes is such a good combination that an Argentina home kit is hard to mess up, and while this looks like a safe bet from adidas, a closer look reveals charming detail. Keeping the collar and cuffs all white, plus the pixelated blue on the stripes, creates a kit that pays homage to their 1993 Copa América effort.
While the red-and-white chessboard design on Croatia’s home kit is one one of the best in international football, this exceptional away kit marks a change from the usual royal-blue designs of the past. Navy and (in particular) black football shirts are often among the best looking, so putting the two together was always going to bear beautiful fruit.
Representing New Balance in Russia this summer will be the Central American pairing of Costa Rica and Panama, and while both teams’ home shirts are a little teamwear-ish, Panama’s away kit provides some additional ‘Pan-blue’ chevron on the front. It’s not incredible, but does just enough to squeak onto this list.
Modern replica kits can be fairly restricted in their designs – gone are the days of the 1990s hedonistic goalkeeper shirts and Chelsea’s ‘tangerine-and-graphite’ number – but teams’ training tops can often offer a bit more in the way of creativity. England, France and Nigeria have all released fantastic training wear this year. In fact, Nigeria’s whole range is exquisite. Roll on Russia…
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.