Guided tours in Russia are a great way to experience hard-to-reach destinations – not only do they offer a unique insight into a city or region, they’re also a fantastic way to gain insider knowledge. Discover Russia’s diverse wilderness and dazzling cities with our selection of the most adventurous guided tours.
Visit reindeer herders in the Yamal Peninsula
There are operators working out of the Yamal Peninsula offering tours to see the continuing practice of reindeer herding and the traditions of the Nenents, the region’s indigenous people and one of the best preserved aboriginal cultures in Russia. Observe the age-old customs and practices of these nomadic herders, who care for up to 10,000 reindeer at a time in this otherworldly and isolated land. Yamal Peninsula Travel offer bespoke expeditions, so you can tailor your experience to your exact specifications.
A post shared by Yuna (@epicyuna) on Sep 10, 2017 at 5:46pm PDT
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Journey to the North Pole
Adventure into the globe’s northernmost point by boarding a ship from Murmansk, the largest city above the Arctic Circle, and a top spot to see the electric Aurora. Quark Expeditions offer a 14-day adventure to the North Pole, which includes ploughing the ship through icebergs, stopping off at Franz Josef Land (the glacial archipelago and outpost for the Russian military), and exploring the surreal landscape at the destination. If weather permits it also includes a balloon ride and a quick plunge into the frosty waters from an iceberg.
A post shared by Quark Expeditions (@quarkexpeditions) on Nov 12, 2017 at 8:49am PST
Snowmobile through the Urals
A snowmobile is one of the most exhilarating ways to see Russia’s vast wilderness in winter. Riding one to the Ural’s highest peak, Shunut Mountain, promises an adrenaline-filled journey through the magical snowy scenery. A good day trip from Yekaterinburg, the ten-hour tour takes participants on a practice run before speeding off through the mountains and valleys, and provides all the warm clothing to you need to endure Siberia’s frost and enjoy it.
Discover Siberian Buryat shamanism
Russia is home to over 100 ethnic groups, many of which have a long rooted connection to their particular region. The Buryats are Siberia’s largest indigenous population and the traditional locals of the Lake Baikal region. They practice a strand of shamanism, a belief system anchored in ancient Mongol-Turkic practices where people enter a trance-like state to interact with the spirit world. Journey into the magnificent Siberian wilds from Irkutsk, experience a cleansing ritual first hand, and discover this ancient culture in Ust-Orda, near Lake Baikal.
Have an adventure on Sviyazhsk Island
Setting off to Sviyazhsk Island in Tatarstan means embarking on a journey into an ancient land. The area was once the central point for the mightiest Mongol empire ever, the Golden Horde and the Kazan Khanate that followed it. Discover the charm and history of this inland island settlement, founded by Ivan the Terrible, the Tsar who brought Tatarstan into the Russian Empire’s realm and ended the rein of the Mongol-Tatar people.
One of the world’s greatest epic cities, Moscow is a city for the brave and insatiably curious. One of the best parts about this particular city tour is that you get to tailor it to your own interests, so you can explore the Moscow you want to discover to find out more about its Soviet past and grandiose architecture, as well as its abundance of art and restaurants from a professional informed guide.
Fly over St. Petersburg
Soak up the glory of Russia’s second city from the seat of your own private helicopter and get a unique, birds-eye view of St. Petersburg‘s intricate canal network. An hour-long trip will send you soaring above all the major landmarks, such as the Hermitage, the Peter and Paul Fortress and along the Neva River on a route of your own choice.
Unearth Soviet secrets
Descend into the Soviet underground and navigate your way through the buried labyrinth that twists beneath the streets of Moscow. Built deep enough to withstand a nuclear fallout, the vast bunker was constructed entirely in secret and without disrupting any of Moscow’s existing infrastructure, close to the Kremlin, so affording Stalin and high ranking officials easy access, should they need. Completed in 1956, it is an insight into, and a reminder of, the precariousness of Soviet and Western tensions during the Cold War.
A post shared by Машуня👸🏼 (@_maria__fokina_) on Oct 20, 2017 at 5:27pm PDT
Horse ride across the Altai Mountains
Saddle up and venture off into the Altai Republic’s pristine wilds, and take in its beauty as you amble along on horseback. Spend your days meandering through some of the steepest mountains and deepest valleys in Russia, and camp under star-spangled skies at night. There are plenty of tours around, Travel Altai offers a 14-day expedition that will take you to the remote beauty of the Ukok Plateau.
A post shared by Oksana Fadina (@ovs9no4ka) on Jul 23, 2017 at 9:58am PDT
Ride a bike on Lake Baikal
If neither hiking nor off-road biking is enough to get your blood pumping, then try ice biking for a hit of excitement. Camp, hike and ride near, and on, the majestic lake‘s frozen surface to explore its wintery beauty. Discover ice grottoes, sandy inlets, woodlands, steppes and cliff faces as you embark on a truly unique thrill. There are plenty of travel companies that offer biking expeditions – try Baikal Adventure to explore this natural wonder.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.