Cluj-Napoca is Romania’s festival destination par excellence. Home to three of the biggest festivals in the country and even in Europe, namely Untold, Electric Castle, and TIFF, Cluj is getting ahead of the capital Bucharest, and drawing crowds from all over the country and beyond, during the spring season and especially at the height of summer.
TIFF – Transylvania International Film Festival
Held in the capital of Transylvania since 2002, the Transylvania International Film Festival, or TIFF, as everyone knows it, has grown into the best-known and most popular film festival in Romania and the region. A launchpad for Romanian films, many fresh out of their international premiere on the Croisette, it is one of the first major events on the cultural calendar. Held in over 20 venues over the city, including unconventional spaces, every spring it takes over the city, attracting over 100,000 attendees. The first Romanian festival to include an international feature film competition, it was featured by Indiewire among the world’s best 50 festivals.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A huge success ever since its first edition in 2015, Untold, held in August, is now the largest annual electronic music festival in the country. Its main stage, at Cluj Arena, is the place where many big names such as Armin van Buuren, Tiësto, Afrojack, or Steve Aoki entertain the crowds for hours, sometimes until sunrise, giving birth to legendary parties that many remember for years. Since 2016, the festival has also been an international tourism ambassador for Transylvania and Romania. That is why festival goers can visit for free or at a discounted rate many spectacular landmarks such as Bran Castle, Corvin Castle, Turda Salt Mine, and even the Merry Cemetery.
Electric Castle is yet another Cluj product that has shot up among the biggest and best musical festivals in Europe. Taking place in July, it is held on the premises of Bánffy Castle, and seamlessly combines genres such as electronic music, rock, hip hop, indie, and more. Year by year, it has grown into a festival that offers, along with great acts, more experiences that integrate art, tech, and sports. So, as a festival goer, it is not unusual to party till dawn, take a nap, have breakfast, and stretch on a yoga mat in the shade, before starting it all over again.
Jazz in the Park
Jazz in the Park is yet another music festival that attracts a loyal following. Held in the Central Park of the city, it is a well-loved event by locals, who flock to the park to enjoy long evenings alongside their families and friends. Although as the festival grew, more venues were added to the list, the original location remains the main one and offers plenty of other attractions, too: art exhibitions, a kids’ playground, reading spaces, and crafts and book fairs.
Comedy Cluj International Festival
If you’re looking for a laugh, visit the city in autumn and if you happen upon The Comedy Cluj International Festival, you’re at the right place – it’s the biggest festival in Europe dedicated exclusively to comedies. A recent addition, the Comedy Exotic section, is dedicated to exploring the sense of humor of people from places such as North Korea, Kazakhstan, or Paraguay, something with which the local crowds are not familiar.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.