It’s a great time to be in Portugal, especially for professionals working in the food and beverage industries. These days, it doesn’t matter if you’re an haute cuisine enthusiast or a budget-dining seeker, a piscivore or a vegetarian, the main cities are brimming with possibilities that will appease most palates.
Bouncing back from the financial crisis, the country has started transforming in response to booming tourism, especially the capital city of Lisbon and second city Porto. In addition to infrastructure restoration, Portugal has undergone a facelift in its gastronomy scene. Nowadays in Lisbon, heading out for dinner without a reservation on a Friday or Saturday night can be risky business if you’re not a fan of one- or two-hour waiting lines—and that’s despite the plethora of options available.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
More traditional restaurants and concept dining venues are showcasing the best of Portuguese flavors, adding artistic touches and themes. One popular spot, called Bairro do Avillez, owned by Portuguese Michelin-star chef José Avillez, segments different parts of Portuguese cuisine into their own respective nooks, so you can go directly to the seafood-focused Páteo, the charcuterie and comfort food-filled Taberna, or you can buy specialty groceries at Mercearia to take home (in case you decide to entertain from the comfort of your own kitchen).
Not too far away is Avillez’s ultra-chic Belcanto, the city’s two-Michelin-starred restaurant, for those who don’t mind reserving much further than a few days in advance. In addition to Bairro do Avillez, the Guardian recently highlighted several trendy new restaurants that have opened in downtown Lisbon over the last year.
Olive oil, garlic, paprika, chili peppers, cilantro, and parsley are some essential flavors found in Portuguese cuisine, also blending Atlantic and Mediterranean influences. Inspired by locally caught and grown ingredients, each region in Portugal has its signature dishes and twists on national favorites.
Portugal is also leaving its mark on the world of desserts, and one recipe satisfying national and international foodies with a sweet tooth is the egg custard-filled pastéis de nata (a sprinkle of cinnamon and powdered sugar are the cherry on the top). That’s not to say that visitors should skip the myriad other dessert options lining the shelves of cafés, pastelarias, and restaurants. On the contrary, it’s encouraged to try as many as your diet and sugar allowance can handle—especially alongside Portuguese coffee.
The beverage industry is another sector that’s part of the gastronomy buzz, and, over the last few years, bars and gastropubs have emerged from the woodwork. Piggybacking on the concept inspired by Lisbon’s characteristic miradouros (vistas that offer spectacular panoramic views of Lisbon’s seven hills), rooftop bars are some of the trendiest hangouts in the Portuguese capital. The views are hard to beat and the drinks possibly even harder, while the wine is unparalleled. Unlike other European capitals, the cost of drinking in Lisbon is pretty budget-friendly, with a draft beer often ranging between €1-2, and a glass of red or white wine between €2-4.
Emerald-green, rolling hills that line the northern part of the country are enhanced by the world’s oldest wine region and a UNESCO World Heritage Centre. The Alto Douro Wine Region is where world-renowned Port wine is produced, and vineyards have begun allowing visits, where guests can learn about the wine-making process, and interested parties can lend a helping hand—although no one will blame you for heading straight to the wine tasting part. Visiting one of the oldest wineries still operating in the Douro Valley is a truly unique experience, and the Quinta da Roêda is one that invites groups for guided tours and tastings.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.