The Iberian Peninsula is where you’ll find routes for the Camino de Santiago, one of the more famous pilgrim journeys in the world, heading to the magnificent Santiago de Compostela. Traversing northern Spain from western France, hundreds of thousands of pilgrims take this path each year, but a good majority travel through the Portuguese countryside instead, on a route called the Portuguese Camino. Perhaps it’s not one of the traditional Camino trails, but there are many perks to journeying through Portugal, and even if the Camino to Santiago isn’t on your horizon, Portugal is an excellent country to plan different pilgrim expeditions.
Amazing churches, monasteries, and cathedrals
Whether you’re setting off on a spiritual journey or an athletic adventure, the churches, monasteries, and cathedrals make hiking through Portugal especially memorable. Centuries old and powerfully symbolic of Portuguese history, these buildings represent an ancient wealth, some on an incredible scale reaching up toward the sky, and others with intricate details like gold-gilded altars and carefully designed azulejo mosaics.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
From the architectural masterpiece of the Sanctuary of Bom Jesus do Monte and its 580 step staircase near Braga to the Convent of Christ in Tomar, once a headquarters of the Knights Templar, and the monumental jewels surrounding them, there are many picture-perfect and heart-stopping destinations to plan a pilgrimage to or around.
Beautiful towns along the way
The Portuguese Camino to Santiago de Compostela, or Camino Portugués, begins in Lisbon and takes travelers on a scenic trip past historic Coimbra and one of Europe’s oldest universities to traditional Porto, and through the charming towns of Galicia, Spain. Another popular route will take you from Lisbon to the holy town of Fátima, the site of Portugal’s Mariam apparitions and home of the world-renowned Sanctuary of Fátima. Along the way, green agricultural fields, some covered with vineyards, and dense forest make up a picturesque backdrop.
Hiking through Portugal won’t break your bank. The country is home to some of the best hostels in the world, especially in Lisbon and Porto, and many guesthouses and rural accommodations on the way cost as low as €10-30 per night. Groceries and cafés are also incredibly cheap, and, in some cases, a full meal with dessert at a tasca or small restaurant can cost €5-6.
Who says you need to abstain from food because you’re on a pilgrimage? Take it as an opportunity to sink your teeth into the fresh and simply delicious Portuguese cuisine, known for revolving heavily around ingredients from both the land and sea. Grilled sardines, steamed shellfish, smoked pork sausages, a mix of green leafy vegetables, and bean stews are just the tip of the foodie iceberg.
Walk along the Atlantic Ocean
Portugal’s coastal Camino is yet another alternative in northern Portugal, taking pilgrims through charming seaside towns and wild beaches that have more of a remote feel compared to the busier towns around Lisbon and the Algarve. Piggybacking off our last point, trying the local cuisine is a must anytime you’re in Portugal, and the seaside route is an excellent way to savor some of the freshest and tastiest fish and seafood.
A culture steeped in religion
Portugal is a country with a history and culture that are deeply rooted in religion. It’s hard to find a destination better suited for a peaceful and reflective spiritual journey.
You will encounter friendly locals
Portuguese locals are incredibly welcoming and they will appreciate learning that you chose their beautiful country for your pilgrimage. It won’t hurt to talk about your trip, and some locals may even offer insider tips on places to see and things to do to that will enhance your experience.
Portugal is safe
In fact, it is one of the safest and most peaceful countries in the world, according to multiple reference sources including the Global Peace Index, which ranks Portugal #3 just under New Zealand (#2) and Iceland (#1).
You can design your own experience
There is no “one” trail in Portugal for pilgrimages. Any part of the country will offer spectacular views and wonderful destinations, and with a little research into backroads and accommodations, you can personalize your own experience. Two of the main destinations pilgrims choose as their destinations are the Sanctuary of Fátima in central Portugal and the Sanctuary of Bom Jesus do Monte near Braga.
See a side of Portugal that people usually miss
One of the best reasons why you should do a pilgrimage through Portugal is that it will allow you to see a unique side of the country that visitors, and even some residents, miss. Walking through traditional towns and quaint villages, in addition to interacting with locals, will get you up close and personal with many sides of Portuguese culture.
At the end of the day, it is true that you only live once. Of course, YOLO should be taken with a grain of salt, but journeying through Portugal on foot has very few drawbacks (if any at all), and you’ll have a lot to gain, from a new and unique perspective to possible new friends.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.