From the Algarve to the Costa Brava, there are some seriously stunning beaches to be found in Spain and Portugal. We put them to the test to find out which is the best coastline on the Iberian peninsula.
Spain’s best beaches
Located on the northeastern coast of Spain, between Barcelona and the French border, the Costa Brava is a small patch of Mediterranean paradise. Complete with azure waters, abundant vegetation and intimate alcoves, these are some of the most charming beaches in Europe. The surrealist artist Salvador Dalí spent much of his childhood in the town of Cadaqués, but it’s by venturing a little further out that you can stumble upon some of the Costa Brava’s most well-kept secrets.
Relaxing on small boats
La Concha beach
This is one of the best urban beaches in Spain, possibly Europe, and is located on the doorstep of the Basque city of San Sebastián. The beautiful La Concha beach – concha meaning ‘shell’ in reference to its curved shape – stretches some 1,350 metres across and is greatly affected by the tides. While the scenery is not as wild as with other beaches, the urban backdrop coupled with the sharp hills of San Sebastián give it a certain charm.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Enjoying the best of both the city and the beach
Food – San Sebastián is one of the food capitals of Europe
There’s nowhere in Europe quite like the Balearic Islands if you’re looking for white sand beaches and turquoise waters. While Ibiza is the party capital, the neighbouring island of Formentera has a more relaxed, family-friendly atmosphere – and quite possibly the more beautiful beaches. The Ses Illetes beach is located on a slither of land stretching out from the northern shore of the island and, being just a few metres in width, is largely undeveloped. Bliss.
Dreamy turquoise waters
Soaking up the Mediterranean atmosphere
Close access to some of the best nightlife in Europe
Located just a couple of hour’s drive south from the capital Lisbon, Comporta is a popular weekend hangout for those looking to escape the city in the warmer months. It has a cool, cosmopolitan vibe and its white sand is enough to make you think you were on the Med – until you test the water and realise the Atlantic tends to be a little cooler. On the plus side, it is much calmer and less commercially developed than its Spanish counterparts, and the few beach bars which are there feel both trendy and authentic.
White sand beaches
Something a little more under the radar
When you think of beaches and Portugal, the first thing that usually springs to mind is the Algarve. Renowned for its dramatic landscape, imposing cliffs and vivid waters, the Algarve is one of the most stunning coastlines on the Iberian peninsula. However, its popularity with tourists also means that large stretches of the beach have been overtaken by cheap package hotels and beach bars. Fortunately, Praia do Castelo is a little farther out than your average tourist is willing to travel, and offers all the charm of the Algarve with fewer tourists than places like Lagos or Albufeira.
Surfing and other water sports
One of the most southwestern points of Europe, Sagres is a small fishing village and surfer’s paradise located on the Atlantic coast. There are two faces to the coastline here, one to the west and one to the south, meaning that there’s usually always somewhere for good surf whichever way the current is going. The village is wonderfully sleepy except for when the fish market takes place in the local harbour and restaurateurs gather to bid for the freshest catch.
Natural, undeveloped beaches
Deciding which country has the best beaches for you really depends on what you’re looking for. Whereas Spain is graced by the warmer waters of the Mediterranean and the chilled-out beach life that comes with it, Portugal benefits from the lively waters of the Atlantic and some truly epic scenery.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.