Malta’s storied capital has an intriguing history spanning 16th-century knights, British naval communities and lavish religious architecture; it’s a uniformly beautiful city that’s been a Unesco World Heritage Site since 1980. Renting an apartment in Valletta means you’re free to move at your own pace, whether that’s breakfasting on a balcony in the old town, looking out at architectural flourishes and church rooftops, taking a siesta before a night out on the town, or getting out and meeting the locals in residential streets…
In the heart of the old town, surrounded by a trio of pretty churches, Paulos is a cavernous stone mansion peppered with antique furniture, burnished picture frames and colourful painted tiles. Its handful of light, bright rooms sleep between two and four people. Simply furnished but tasteful, some have sofas, kitchenettes and balconies for self-catering space. A hot breakfast of bacon, eggs and crêpes goes above and beyond the usual continental spread.
Set in Sliema, on the neighbouring peninsula to Valletta’s pretty old town, Pebbles has affordable twin and double studios with kitchenettes, as well as more substantial apartments with leather sofas, smart, modern kitchens and balconies overlooking Marsamxett Harbour. Staff keep you topped up with bottled water and room service; and all guests get an automatic invite to the hotel’s all-day-pool-party of a beach club, MedAsia Playa.
With soaring views over Valletta’s Grand Harbour, this old town hideaway has just seven gorgeously styled suites, with kitchens and seating areas, done up in earthy taupe, beige and chocolate with metallic accents. Book the sea-view penthouse for your own decadent terrace, with ace snapshots of the Mediterranean and the hulking bell in the neighbouring church’s tower. A fabulous roof terrace lets you breakfast in the breeze, with a sweeping city view.
These designer apartments are the perfect blend of classical furnishings, 17th-century architecture and cutting-edge luxury. Sleeping between two and six, each has its own distinct personality. Book U Townhouse for a show-stopping marble dining table and squishy dove-grey sofas, or U Duplex for a mezzanine-level bedroom and spiral staircase. All have top-quality linen and towels and the owners can arrange chef-cooked catering for your private Maltese dinner party.
In a former sea captain’s home, gazing out over the Grand Harbour, this complex of one-bed apartments ups the glamour factor with a serene shared roof terrace and a heated whirlpool with fabulous views. Within the apartments, slabs of exposed stone wall are offset by retro floor tiling and bright bedding in paintbox shades; check out the building’s traditional closed Maltese balconies for a pristine example of the local architecture.
Sleeping up to eight, this luxurious, light-filled apartment has polished wood floors, a mix of double, twin and triple rooms, bright feature walls and a sunny balcony breakfast table facing the sparkling waterfront. Close to Sliema’s ferry point, it’s designed for families or groups of friends who are used to their creature comforts: think plump mid-century sofas, top-spec kitchen, glass dining table and hot tub fizzing on the balcony.
In the heart of Valletta’s old town, close to the Baroque cathedral and brilliant Museum of Archaeology, this designer townhouse has six exclusive apartments up for grabs. Fully-formed kitchens have handy ovens and dishwashers; but really this place is all about the luxury touches, with gleaming polished marble at every turn, underfloor heating and freestanding bathtubs. Stay more than three nights and the owners will throw in a free airport transfer, too.
Slightly out of the way in the suburb of Il Gzira, apartments in the contemporary, light-filled Blubay complex have kitchens, fridges, kettles and seating areas. One perk of this location is a sun-soaked roof deck with a pool and a helpful front desk to help hail taxis or assist with directions. Bag one of the couple with a sea-view balcony for the most luxurious feel at a very comfortable price.
Looking to extend your trip? Check out these top holiday apartments in Malta, which are bookable now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.