Kosovo is one of the newest tourist destinations on the map of Europe. It is safe and easy to visit, in spite of its complicated political situation and relations with Serbia. As it is still an off-the-beaten-path destination, Kosovo is full of surprising experiences. Here is our pick of the best things to see and do.
Walk up a hill for the most beautiful panorama
The view from the fortress hill in the town of Prizren could easily be granted the ‘best panorama in Kosovo’ prize. A 20-minute walk through what used to be a Serbian quarter will reward you with the whole town spread out in front of your eyes: red roofs, minarets, bell towers, and the Prizren Bistrica river winding between the houses. In the distance you will also see the Bjeshkët e Sharrit Mountains, often capped with fluffy clouds.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hold your breath at Rugova Canyon
If you are a hunter of breathtaking views, this is a must-visit destination on your trip to Kosovo. Rugova Canyon is one of the deepest (up to 1,000m) and one of the longest (25 km) in Europe. Start hiking from the town of Peja and look up to marvel at the rocks of the Alpine-like Prokletije Mountains, translated as the Accursed Mountains.
Kosovar people feel a great respect and gratefulness to Bill Clinton for his support of Kosovo during the 1999 war and that is why you can see his statue smiling and waving near the center of the capital Pristina, on Bill Clinton Boulevard.
Talk to strangers
The locals in Kosovo are friendly and talkative and people starting a random conversation with strangers is not a rare sight. Many Kosovars in the big cities speak decent English and are happy to share their outlook on life with foreigners.
Experience the coffee culture
The coffee culture is a common phenomenon found in the Balkans that make a cult of the long conversations and people-watching over endless cups of coffee. It’s no use trying to watch your daily caffeine intake because you will most probably exceed it while you learn how to forget your watch and enjoy timelessness.
Explore new landscapes while you practice your favorite sports – Bjeshkët e Sharrit Mountains (also known as Šar Mountains) have a few winter resorts with slopes for every level. Brezovica is one of the main resorts where four slopes and two lifts offer activities for all levels.
Feast over grilled meat
The ubiquitous grilled meat is served all over the Balkan countries and Kosovo doesn’t make an exception. Look for the sign “Qebaptore” (a restaurant for grilled meat) to try delicious grilled minced meat with pickled or fresh vegetables, or french fries as a side dish.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.