Summer is over, but it’s never too soon to think about your next travel destination. If you are planning to visit Tuscany next summer, you need to know that the region is home to one of the most beautiful islands of the Mediterranean Sea — Elba. This small island is mostly frequented by locals, but if you are looking for a beautiful, quiet and off-the-beaten-path spot, Elba is where you need to go. So book your next trip in this magnificent island before everyone finds out how gorgeous it is.
The most important town of Elba is Portoferraio, the island’s largest city. It was founded by Cosimo I de’ Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany, in 1548 with the name of Cosmopoli (which means “the city of Cosimo”). Portoferraio is surrounded by a tiny hill and the sea. It has three forts — Forte Stella, Forte Falcone and Forte Inglese — used in the past to defend the island and still visible today.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Marina di Campo
This lovely village, in the southwest of the island, is a must for your list of places to visit in Elba. It is home to a little aquarium which hosts about 150 different species of the Mediterranean’s marine organisms, and it reproduces accurately the habitat of each species of the Tuscan Archipelago. If you love the sea fauna or you are traveling with kids, don’t forget to include this spot in your things to do.
Marciana Marina is one of the most beautiful towns of Elba. The city has a small marina, two small beaches and an old Torre Medicea built to protect the town in the past from the pirate invasions. The promenade, going from the old part of the city to the Torre Medicea, has preserved the original architectural features of the 18th century.
Marciana Alta is the highest town on the island and one of the oldest, as testified to by the Pisan Fortress that dominates it. It is where the population took refuge during frequent pirate attacks decades ago. Its city center is a labyrinth of narrow streets and lovely hidden squares. FYI: The town is accessible only by foot. Marciana is also the point of departure for the funicular to Mount Capanne, where on clear days you can admire Elba and the surrounding islands in all their beauty.
Capoliveri is an old Roman settlement. The name itself Caput Liberi is Latin for Liberus Hill, meaning sacred to Bacchus, and since ancient times it has been a land of vineyards and excellent wine. Obviously, it is still today, so don’t forget to visit it if you are a wine enthusiast. The town hosts other spots of cultural interest too, such as Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie, the Focardo Fortress and the Chapel of San Michele Apse.
One of the most frequented towns of Elba is Porto Azzurro. It was once a fishing and agricultural village, while today it’s a famous tourist resort. It hosts many places of historical and cultural interest like the Sanctuary of Madonna del Monserrato and the Spanish Church of Cuore Immacolato di Maria, and it is close to the Small Mine, a reconstruction in reduced scale of a mine and of the life inside a mine. But the best reason to come here is for its pristine and crystalline waters.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.