The Colosseum, located in central Rome, is one of the main attractions in the capital and in Italy overall. We’ve put together a list of the best nearby restaurants which are worth the price you pay for the view of that magnificent Flavian Amphitheatre.
This restaurant can become very busy at rush hours, so it might be a good idea to make a reservation if you have a specific date in mind or if you want to dine in a large group. The atmosphere is authentic, the food is locally sourced and is largely reliant on the traditions of Roman cuisine. What stands out is the wood-oven pizzas and the different sorts of pasta that are served each day. What’s more, the prices are very affordable and the staff is warm and welcoming.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Taverna dei Quaranta
This one’s atmosphere is talked about throughout the capital, and it will leave a memorable mark on your holiday in Rome. With the high-vaulted ceilings and the checked table cloths, Taverna dei Quaranta provides visitors with an authentically Roman ambience which hints of a bygone era. This, in fact, is a tavern, with all its authenticity, quality food and indelibly welcoming charm.
Hostaria da Nerone
Established in 1929, this hostaria on the peripheries of the Colosseum has a long history of food making. It is not the classic tourist trap, but a local trattoria with an excellent selection of Roman food. It is often very busy, but the staff do their best to ensure quality and service throughout. If in doubt, try the grilled vegetables, the clam spaghetti or the lasagne – all top-notch options.
Hostaria al Gladiatore
This is a restaurant which combines authentic Roman cuisine with more elaborate dishes. It features a lunch menu with the usual specialities, such as carbonara and various sorts of pizzas, as well as a sumptuous dinner menu with dishes that are hard to forget. It is the ideal choice for a candlelit evening, especially in the summer, when many tables are set outside. Hostaria al Gladiatore offers a wonderful panorama of the Colosseum and it places great emphasis on the quality of food and service.
If you love seafood and feel like splashing out on a romantic dinner, this is the place for you. With a vast selection of the best fish dishes, Crab will remain etched in each and every customer’s memory. The menu is a little on the pricey side, but the quality of food and service is truly top-notch. The staff are serious, professional, accommodating and more than happy to help if they can. Just entrust your romantic seafood dinner to them – they will know just what to recommend!
This is the perfect place for every tourist who is looking to have a quick lunch before plunging back into the Roman Dolce Vita. Although it tends to get quite busy, it is worth the line considering the low prices and the amazing value. Goloseum offers pasta, sandwiches and pizzas on the go, but they never neglect quality. It is the perfect street-food spot in Rome; as testified by the lunch-time queues of Italians and locals.
Divin Ostilia is something of a secret spot near the Colosseum. It stands out as a wine bar which serves excellent pasta and antipasti, such as cheese and all sorts of cold meat. The place is quite small, so it might get difficult at times to get a table, but rest assured that the staff will try their best to find a place for everyone. The primi are wonderful and are usually different from the traditional dishes you can find elsewhere in the capital. The selection of wines and craft beers is also diverse; great for drinking under the Italian sun.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.