With silky-soft sandy beaches and crystalline waters teeming with dolphins, sea turtles and stingrays, Lampedusa is a heavenly spot for scuba and snorkeling – or just enjoying slow-paced island life with an aperitivo in hand.
The tiny island of Lampedusa is the largest of Italy’s Pelagian archipelago, a series of three small islands that fall under the jurisdiction of Sicily but belong to the African continent. Around 286mi (300km) southwest of Sicily, it’s geographically and climatically closer to North Africa – plonked in between Malta and the coast of Tunisia. Known for its fine-sand beaches, dolphins and loggerhead sea turtles, this gorgeous destination has all the Italian touchpoints you crave (think gelato, Vespas and kick-ass espresso), plus the quality of scuba diving and snorkelling that you’d usually seek out in Southeast Asia. All this, while retaining the slow and relaxing pace of life that only a fairly remote island can.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
For the paradise beaches
The crystal-blue waters of legendary Spiaggia Dei Conigli have seen the white-sand cove regularly named one of the best beaches in Europe. Tucked away from the road, meaning that the last couple of minutes to get there are on foot, this beach is a sea turtle nesting ground, so it’s off-limits at night during the summer. Other brilliant bays include the remote, cave-flanked Cala Pulcino, which is only reachable by hike, or the more accessible deckchair- and umbrella-covered Cala Croce.
To swim in crystalline waters at Tabaccara Bay
Tabaccara is the place to see Lampedusa’s unspoilt, turquoise waters at their best. This natural saltwater pool, in a rocky cove with a beach, is only accessible by boat – but you can hire one for the day from a number of local companies. The sea is so clear here that the boats look like they’re floating on air, if you get the camera angle just right. Bring a snorkel to get the best view of the sea life swimming underneath you.
You can help out the Lampedusa Turtle Group
The serene beaches of Lampedusa are breeding grounds for the endangered species of the sea turtle Caretta Caretta, who swim to the island between May and August. Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for a turtle to get stuck in a fishing net and that’s where the Lampedusa Turtle Group steps in, rescuing and rehabilitating around 100 of these turtles each year. You can visit their centre or, on a longer stay, volunteer with their outreach program to help look after the turtles before they are carefully returned to sea.
The sunset from Capo Ponente is one of Italy’s best
Drive out to Capo Ponente, a dramatic, scalloped cliff-edge in the northwest of the island. Bring a picnic to this viewpoint, which is famously the best place in Lampedusa to watch the sunset, and gaze out over the sea, all the way to Tunisia in the distance.
It’s perfect for scuba and snorkelling beginners
Thanks to the impossibly clear water that encircles Lampedusa, it’s the perfect environment for observing life under the sea and a fantastic place for beginners to try their hand at snorkelling, as parrot fish, stingrays, dolphins and even grey reef sharks pass by. For more seasoned (and qualified) scuba divers, there are caves and almost tropical reefs to explore, bookable via diving companies on the island.
The seafood is unbeatable
The culinary scene on Lampedusa is as Italian as it is in Rome, specialising in seafood options given the local fishermen’s busy daily schedule. After a long day in the sun, you’ll want to sit back on the terrace at Bar dell’Amicizia and nibble on their famous cannoli – fried-pastry tubes filled with sweetened ricotta cheese – with a spritz or two. For a sumptuous example of Italy’s Slow Food movement, head to Trattoria Terranova de Bernardo, just a little way out of town. The chefs celebrate local produce and traditional ways of cooking – and their squid ink pasta is life-changing.
You can zip around on a scooter
Lampedusa is an undeniably petite island but nevertheless, you might not want to walk much during the summer months in its North African climate. Hop on a hired scooter to access those secluded beaches and areas of natural beauty that a car is too cumbersome to reach while cooling off in the sea breeze at the same time. Just remember to apply sunscreen before driving off on your two-wheeler.
You’ll probably spot dolphins on a boat tour
A solid fleet of boat companies is based around the two ports of Porto Nuovo and the neighbouring Porto Vecchio, which offers daily boat tours of varying lengths and prices. Be sure to ask how long the tour will be and state if you have any particular destination in mind, before embarking. Dolphin spotting tours are also abundant, so pack your binoculars and camera if that’s your goal of the day. Some boat operators even let you jump off the side to swim with dolphins, too. Magical.
Looking for more? With an enormous choice of things to do in Lampedusa – including a visit to its most beautiful beaches – make sure you stop off at one of the best restaurants or bars for a greater taste of the island. And with plenty of choices for a place to stay, book into one of the best hotels in Lampedusa with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.