Naples makes for a very memorable place to sail into, with mirror-like waters in the bay to greet you, the volcanic cone of Mount Vesuvius rearing its head and a colourful urban sprawl rolling towards the hills. The province of Naples has been settled for more than 2,000 years and there’s a multitude of Roman sites in the area worth dipping into, the best known of which are Pompeii and Herculaneum. The excellent beaches and beautiful islands are other highlights, with a boat being the best way to navigate these tucked away spots. Here we reveal some of the best day trips you can take from Naples if you’ve got your own boat.
Discover the top spots around Italy’s coast by Culture Trip’s Sailing Trips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The island of Procida is small enough to explore on foot and despite its diminutive size, there are two harbours. Chiaiolella, on the south coast, welcomes yachts. Corricella, in the northeast of the island, is largely reserved for fishing boats though you’ll want to check out the quayside restaurants. The nature reserve across the footbridge in Vivara is a must-see for its birdlife, as are the church, museum and catacombs of the Abbey of St Michael.
Ischia is a magical, postcard-perfect island in the Bay of Naples. The first thing you’ll see as you approach the rocky outcrop is Castello Aragonese. Hiero I of Syracuse built the original fortress in 474 BC but the current fortifications were the result of modifications made by Alfonso V of Aragon in the 15th century. Continuing on the historical theme, Palazzo dell’Orologio is home to the Sea Museum which details the history of the Ischia fishing industry. The island also boasts several excellent beaches, including Maronti, fed by geothermal hot springs, and Spiaggia dei Pescatori, where fishing boats are parked up on the sands.
Parco Sommerso di Baia
Plunge back in time with a visit to the protected marine area of Parco Sommerso di Baia, which houses the remains of an ancient Roman city and is located close to the marina of Porto di Baia. The submerged town of Baia was described by one writer at the time as a “resort of vice”. In the 16th century, the earth’s crust shifted and the land on which Baia stood was flooded. Today, it’s an underwater Pompeii and you’ll need to don scuba gear to explore what remains. The rewards are great: crusty statues perch precariously on the seafloor and the remains of summer villas owned by Nero, Caligula and Julius Caesar sit alongside the thermal baths.
Gaiola Island consists of a couple of outcrops of golden limestone, linked by a thin rock arch. Its beach is split in two with one half forming part of the Gaiola Underwater Park. The picturesque marine reserve is well worth checking out, with an abundance of fish and the ruins of Imperial Villa Pausilypon, which dates to the first century BC, serving as an underwater wonder. Visitor numbers are strictly limited, so get there early to reserve your place for a swim or spot of snorkelling.
The affluent residential quarter consists of grand hillside villas enveloped by mature trees. The lavish properties enjoy unrivalled views of the coast and Mount Vesuvius beyond. Along with being home to many architectural gems, another draw is the area’s abundance of archaeological sites. Be sure to see the Palazzo degli Spiriti, a waterfront ruin that dates back to the first century BC and the Grotto of Sejanus, a long tunnel that leads to the elusive Imperial Villa of Pausilypon.
Moor up in the Marina di Stabia and you’ll be well placed to visit Pompeii. The archaeological site is just a 15-minute drive from the harbour or less than an hour on foot. Vesuvius famously destroyed the town when it erupted in 79AD. Archaeologists have painstakingly excavated the site, uncovering a Roman forum, private villas, a brothel and the main street where you can still see the ruts worn by ancient cartwheels. Herculaneum, a more compact site but just as compelling, is a short train ride away.
Torre del Greco
The city of Torre del Greco has a thriving coral heritage – you might hear people refer to its citizens as Corallini. Though legislation protects the blood-red local coral, there’s a booming industry in carving imported coral into cameos and other jewellery pieces. You can buy the distinctive pieces throughout the town and there’s also a museum devoted to its story. Visiting yachts are accommodated on Torre del Greco’s seasonal pontoons; berths are available from May to October.
Navigate your way to this long, sandy beach for some superb views of Procida and Ischia from across the Tyrrhenian Sea. To get there it’s about an hour’s walk from the marina of Porto di Acquamorta with the peaceful Laghetto di Torrefumo nature reserve to visit on your way. Some stretches of Miliscola are quiet and undeveloped while others pockets are more lively with beach bars, sun loungers and umbrellas on offer.
Discover the top spots around Italy’s coast by Culture Trip’s Sailing Trips.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.