Colossal ancient architecture, Renaissance art and delicious pizza are some of the visions that spring to mind when thinking of Naples. Sailing off the coast of this southern Italian city will enable you to have your fill of all three, with the addition of some soul-stirring panoramas that you would never see from the land. When it comes to finding a spot for the night, there are many options where you can avoid fighting the masses at the big marinas, like Naples’s historic Borgo Marinari. We reveal some of the lesser-known spots to throw your lines or anchor.
Discover the top spots around Italy’s coast by Culture Trip’s Sailing Trips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Marina Molo Luise, Naples
This marina will place you just 7km (4mi) from the medieval seaward gate of Naples, Porta Nolana, and all main sights can be reached by taxi, or even on foot. With views of the Gulf curving to meet Mount Vesuvius, modern Molo Luise accommodates 110 boats of up to 100m (328ft) in length, and with drafts of up to 11m (36ft). Water, power, fuel, repairs and supplies are all on site. Head uphill from the tourist traps for superior restaurants like NO.RO, and bars like Pacù.
Porto di Baia, Baia
Want to hunt for ancient ruins in the steaming caldera of an active volcano? Of course you do! Seduced by the big-ticket attractions southeast of Naples, few head west to the ancient geothermal sites of Campi Flegrei. The “Phlegraean Fields” is an area strewn with steam vents, boiling mud pools and Roman remains such as the Flavian Amphitheatre. Nearby Porto di Baia is a professional, full-service marina with 100 berths for boats of up to 24m (78ft) and drafts of 6m (19ft).
Marina di Cassano, Sant’Agnello
Sheltered by sheer, villa-topped cliffs and seaward breakwaters, di Cassano might be the most dramatic marina on the Sorrento coast. Berthing 180 boats of a maximum length of 56m (184ft) and drafts of up to 5m (16ft), it’s located in Sant’Agnello, a charming town predating Roman rule. Once you’ve secured your vessel and stocked up with supplies, walk uphill (or take the lift) and get your camera at the ready for some magnificent views from the Marinella panoramic terrace. Spiaggia la Marinella is 2km to the southwest, a pebbly beach that’s a rarity on this coast.
Marina di Corricella, Procida
The Marina di Corricella, which is still a working fishing port, makes for a picture-perfect island mooring, and when you sail in you’ll be blown away by its beauty. Pastel houses cascade to the net-strewn quay, where spruced-up locals take their passeggiata (stroll) each evening. You’ll elbow for a berth with fishing boats and yachts, especially in August, so it’s best to call in advance and book a spot. Once secure, head for port-side restaurant Caracalè. The grilled swordfish with chilled falanghina wine is a must-try.
Baia di San Montano, Ischia
This quiet anchorage in a delectable Ischian bay makes for the perfect place to unwind after a day of sailing. Drop anchor a decent distance from the manicured beach, and take in the scenery, with clear, shallow waters surrounding your vessel and soaring cliffs yawning ahead. While secluded, this anchorage does get busy during the Italian summer holidays and it’s best to book a sunlounger in advance. Head to Negombo Beach Bar for home-grown tomato bruschetta, and if you’re after some pure relaxation, Negombo Thermal Park offers spa treatments, 14 hot-spring pools and beautifully landscaped exotic gardens.
Grotta Azzurra, Capri
You can’t take your yacht into these astonishing sea caves, but you can anchor just outside of them. The Grotta Azzurra – which measure 60m (200ft) long and 25m (80ft) wide – are a sight to behold, with brilliant blues reflecting off the waters and illuminating the cave walls. This cavernous spot was deemed sacred by the debauched Emperor Tiberius and he used to swim there. Today it can only be accessed by licensed rowboat operators and these hover outside the cave mouth. After you’ve secured your boat, it’s easy to hail a ride.
Baia di Ieranto, Punta Campanella
For some jaw-dropping natural beauty, point your compass in the direction of Ieranto Bay, which is where sirens were said to have tried to lure Ulysses to his destruction. Now heavily protected, you’ll need charts to know whether you’re in Zone A, B or C. Only in C can you anchor 50m (164ft) from the beach – or 100m (328ft) from the rearing cliffs. That’s still close enough to take in vistas that you’ll never forget. Kayaking, hiking and snorkelling are all permitted and a great way to explore this sublime spot.
Roman Port, Isola di Ventotene
Want to tie up where the first Roman Emperor once did? Over 2,000 years ago Augustus wanted a port for his summer villa on Ventotene, then called Pandateria. So he clicked his fingers and 60,000m³ (2,118,880 cubic ft) were dug from the rock face. The result? A sheltered port where the original wharves, jetties and piers offer a real taste of the past. The former storerooms, also hand-excavated, now house characterful bars and scuba centres. Moor here and explore ruins such as Villa Julia, where Augustus exiled his only daughter.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.