A variety of vast terrains, wondrous mountains, and distinctive islands create the east coast of Sicily. From caves to volcanoes, this scenic landscape has something to offer everyone. For those seeking the shiver of adrenaline during your travels, let us guide you through the most exciting activities around Catania to add to your agenda.
Mt. Etna Excursion
If you’re feeling the itch of adventure, check out Mt. Etna, the largest peak in Europe. You will find a multitude of tours to choose from when opting to spend the day exploiting the natural monument. From half or full-day tours around galvanising precipices, exploring extinct craters, or riding up the rocky landscape on a quad bike, to sunset tours that allow you to watch the orange orb of daylight disappear into the Ionian sea, Mt. Etna can be a multi-day adventure that will satisfy any and all action cravings.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Discover this small but captivating island in the Tyrrhenian sea through a variety of boat tours that will take you around the island. Another of the most active volcanos of the Aeolian Islands, you can spectate this magnificent mountain from an array of locations. It is also possible to have an expert guide lead you near the mouth of the massive volcano. If you prefer to see this spectacle from a little further away, you can enjoy sunset boat cruises and watch the radiant colours of the exploding giant blended with the sun descending behind it.
While experiencing the majesty of Mt. Etna, challenge yourself with one of the aerial adventure parks. Offering zip-lining, climbing, and obstacles courses these parks not only provide a fun and active afternoon but you will also get to see the beautiful expanse of nature and views around Etna Park. In these organised and well-maintained playgrounds, professional guides will show you all the ins and outs of what they have to offer and cater to how you want to spend your day.
Mt. Etna and the east coast of Sicily are full of caves ripe for exploring. If you’re seeking a more tropical escapade you can survey the renowned Blue Grotto Cave. Enjoy vibrant views of Mazzaro Bay by boat, touring through a chain of aquatic caves. You can also explore the extensive lava caves of Mt. Etna or the famed Grotto del Gelo (Ice Cave) that stays icy all year-round. Expert guides will aid you in plunging deep into Mt. Etna for an electrifying experience.
Spend a day on Vulcano Island
This quiet volcano may not be the most active belonging to the Aeolian Islands but it certainly has a variety of activities to fill your day. Feeling a more relaxed itinerary? Take a dip in the bubbling therapeutic mud baths and sunbathe on the steaming sulfuric rocks, or take a walk down the black sand beaches. If you’re after a more invigorating pastime, you can also scale the sleeping giant. After an intensive hike you’re rewarded with the massive crater and striking views of the islands and seaside.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.