Italy is one of the most romantic countries on Earth, and its language is a big part of that. All of those elongated vowels, staccato constants and melodically rolled R’s make even the simplest of words sound so deliciously seductive. Pick up the lingo ahead of your next trip with our guide to some of the most beautiful Italian words to know.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One of the most beautiful words in Italian is sprezzatura. More of a concept than a word, it was created in the 16th century by Baldassare Castiglione in his work The Book of the Courtier. It means a kind of effortless elegance. To be truly sprezzatura, you should make sure you never look like you are trying too hard.
This word means ‘walk’ – but it is so much more than a late afternoon or an evening stroll. This walk is about seeing and being seen, and it happens in Italy’s biggest cities and smallest towns. There is often gelato involved.
Meaning ‘and’, ‘so’ or ‘thus’, this is the most versatile of filler words. Italians use a long, drawn out allora at the start of a sentence to buy themselves a little time when they don’t know what to say.
Meaning ‘twilight’. It makes the ideal Instagram hashtag to describe that perfect shot of the golden or blue hour.
Baby animal, usually a puppy or kitten. The double ‘cc’ in Italian is pronounced like ‘ch’ in English, making this a wonderfully fun word to say. It is used as a term of endearment.
This means ‘breathtaking’. This literal word comes from mozzare, meaning to cut or chop off and fiato, meaning breath. It can be used when talking about a particularly beautiful work of art or a scenic view.
This means ‘maybe’. This word is used as an expression of hope like ‘I wish’ or ‘I hope so’.
This means ‘who knows’. Always said with a dramatic shrug of the shoulders and a furrowed brow.
Yes, Italians really do use this declarative phrase in every-day conversation. It is used to express exasperation, fear, joy and excitement.
This means ‘bead stringer’, used mainly in Venice to describe women who string tiny glass seed beads that are made on the island of Murano.
From the Latin to ‘be well’. Used primarily in Rome as a greeting, this word falls between the formal buongiorno/arrivederci and the informal ciao.
Meaning ‘be back soon’. You will likely see this scribbled on a sign in a shop window. It can involve a break of anything from five minutes to five days.
This means ‘clever’. This is another example of a term that is more of a concept than an adjective, and is often used to describe a sly, crafty act like tax evasion or cutting in line.
Meaning ‘best wishes’. This word is used to say (and sing) happy birthday, as well as saying Merry Christmas and Happy Easter.
Meaning ‘imagine’. Imagine is the technical translation of this word, but you will hear it used as ‘my pleasure’, or ‘don’t worry about it’.
Meaning ‘come on!’ The Roman version of the Italian word dai is said in two drawn out syllables, almost always in a shout.
Did you know you can now travel with Culture Trip? Book now and join one of our premium small-group tours to discover the world like never before.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.