Cork is already famous for its food, but with some of Ireland’s finest coffee roasters – such as Fermoy’s Badger and Dodo – based in the county, its caffeine game shouldn’t be underestimated. Here is a look at some of the best coffee bars in Cork City.
Find this beloved cafe upstairs at the famous English Market, with a balcony looking out over stalls that have been in operation since the 18th century. The sister of a restaurant and country store of the same name in the nearby town of Midleton, The Farmgate serves exquisite coffee and handmade cakes throughout the day, plus an assortment of gluten-free treats.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Alchemy Coffee And Books
Alchemy Coffee And Books is a dream for anyone who likes their coffee with a side of culture. This enlightened spot regularly hosts intimate evening performances by singer-songwriters and poets. During the day, they serve up some of the best coffee in the city, made with Irish-roasted 3fe beans. You’ll leave feeling energised, and probably smarter too. Its owners also recently opened a sister cafe, Alchemy 2, on Langford Row.
The owners of Café Gusto are proud to be keeping their Washington Street premises in the coffee business – the site has been a cafe since 1941. Under the current ownership, Café Gusto has become one of the city’s favourite coffee houses, even expanding into a second location at the boardwalk on Lapp’s Quay. Order a pastry with your cortado, sit back and watch the world go by.
Filter Espresso & Brew Bar
Having opened their first outlet on Georges Quay in 2012, the people behind Filter opened a new location – Portafilter – at St. Peter’s Church in July 2016. Described by the Lonely Planet as ‘a carefully curated shrine to coffee nerdery’, Filter has all the menu options and offbeat fashionable charm of Dublin’s trendiest cafes, but without the capital-city crowds.
Tara’s Tea Room
The adorable Tara’s Tea Room was the dream of Kate Perrott – a law graduate who traded the legal world to team up with partner Geoffrey Cashman and open a cafe instead. Three years later, the MacCurtain Street tea room is a bona fide success – loved as much for the quality of the service as for its legendary afternoon tea served in china cups.
Cork Coffee Roasters
Cork Coffee Roasters has to be given bonus points for hand-roasting their own coffees locally, using traditional methods. This reliable Bridge Street cafe should probably be the number one pick for true coffee lovers, who will appreciate their dedication to using only the best beans in all of their unique blends.
An extension of McCarthy’s farm in the village of Ovens – just outside Cork City – The Parlour Café is dedicated to bringing ‘the best of wholesome country living to the heart of the city’. Simple, high-quality food is the raison d’être here, with their freshly baked cakes and scones accompanied by coffee made from Cork Coffee Roasters’ beans.
The owners of the beautifully decorated Myo cafe state their mission as being to ‘serve coffee and cake with serenity’. Their menu revolves around fair-trade organic Italian coffee, herbal teas including caffeine-rich yerba mate, and an assortment of sweet treats baked exclusively for them – plus soups and sandwiches. With an air of authenticity about it, this is the kind of place you’ll want to linger awhile.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.