As well as its popular attractions, Reykjavik offers a range of exciting activities, from hiking glaciers to making blood puddings. Discover the beauty of Iceland by uncovering these cultural experiences that will introduce you to a different side of the country.
As Iceland is surrounded by water, seafood is a big part of the national cuisine, and what better way to learn about the island’s gastronomy than by catching your own fish? Many Icelandic restaurants offer a catch of the day, and this sea fishing gourmet tour teaches you all about the how it gets there. Setting off from the harbour, the three-hour tour takes visitors out to the open sea, where you may catch anything from cod and haddock to rockfish and pollack. Upon your return to the mainland, you will work on your cooking skills by preparing your catch to be eaten.
Iceland’s glaciers are a beloved part of the national landscape, but are rapidly shrinking: 2019 saw the death of the Okjökull glacier, with locals holding a funeral in its memory. Now is the time to see these incredible natural wonders, while they’re still around. Located just two hours away from Reykjavik, this tour gives you an up-close view of the Sólheimajökull glacier, as you trek across frozen blue rivers and learn to climb inside steep crevasses.
Nothing beats an authentic local experience when you’re travelling. Get to know Icelandic culture, learn about Icelanders and their way of living by having dinner with a local artist in their home. The three-hour encounter takes place in downtown Reykjavik, where you’ll enjoy an Icelandic meal that could be anything from smoked trout to slow-cooked lamb.
The Icelandic landscape is amazing, so why not enjoy it while taking part in an outdoor activity? Taking place at the Hvita River – a glacier river in south Iceland – this rafting adventure will take participants on a journey through a seven-kilometre (four-mile) stretch of the river, rafting while taking in scenic views of the area. Once reaching your final destination, a steamy sauna awaits to ensure you end the day on a note of relaxation.
Icelandic horse riding tour in lava fields
Drive just 10 minutes from Reykjavik, to the small town of Hafnarfjörður, and you will find the Íshestar Stables, a horse riding centre that lets you ride through some of the most scenic areas of Iceland. The horse riding tour invites visitors to a two-hour session; here, you’ll ride the horses through lava fields and beautiful green hillsides, against stunning backdrops of mountains and volcanic rock formations.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Viking knife making workshop
Ever wondered how Vikings made their weapons? Spend the day with a knife making expert who’ll teach you how to create your own Viking knife and leather sheath – an essential tool for survival during the Viking era. This rare opportunity takes place 15 minutes away from Reykjavik and includes a tasty home-cooked lunch and the chance to spend time with local residents while learning about Viking culture and history.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.