Explore the Icelandic capital from a luxurious base, complete with fine Nordic cuisine and Aurora Borealis views.
Looking for a hotel that’s a cut above the average? Whether you’re after an in-room sauna or an outdoor hot tub for gazing at the Northern Lights, Reykjavík is home to a whole host of luxury hotels. Here’s our pick of some of the best the capital has to offer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A gallery without the crowds sounds like luxury to us. Hotel Holt is home to the largest private collection of Icelandic art. Delve into it on the twice-weekly guided walk around the hotel, which is crammed with hundreds of seascapes, stoneware reliefs and bronze sculptures. The 42 rooms are classically styled and feature original paintings. Dinner at the smart Holt restaurant is excellent, with organic wines to match.
Expect rooms with plush bedding, thick blackout curtains and organic, local toiletries at this boutique hotel, located next to Austurvöllur park. Choose from four categories ranging from cosy doubles to family-friendly boltholes that sleep up to six. Aldamót, the lively hotel bar, is popular with locals and serves light dishes and quality wines.
Once an office block in downtown Reykjavík, this sleek boutique hotel offers minimalist rooms and bags of comfort. The decor is monochrome, and luxurious touches include bathrooms with underfloor heating and Bang & Olufsen speakers. The larger rooms have balconies with city views. Join locals beneath the glass ceiling in the restaurant and bar for everything from hamburgers to fine cuisine.
The 50 rooms and suites of this centrally located hotel welcome you with a cool, pared-back style. Think neutral colour schemes, elegant wood floors and lots of natural light entering through french doors and large windows. For a more luxurious option, book a junior suite – split over two floors, offering great views – or a luxury apartment with self-catering flexibility. Snaps restaurant has a bistro vibe with cosy booths and a superb brunch menu – try the pancakes with Icelandic blueberries.
If you enjoy the grandeur of Art Deco style, look no further than this landmark hotel, overlooking Austurvöllur square. Its 99 rooms and suites feature black-and-white colour schemes, geometric cushions and smart marble bathrooms. There’s also an excellent spa with a hot tub, a sauna, a steam bath and a range of treatments, including marine enzyme conditioning for the whole body that’s said to relieve jet lag.
Dating back to the 1900s, this former department store was transformed into the luxury, contemporary hotel that you see today. Little luxuries, such as the sauna and whirlpool, blend well with heritage touches like the exposed original stone walls. Rooms range in size from twin, queen and king to large suites with leather sofas, fresh flowers and private terraces. The restaurant – Gott Reykjavík – serves local, homemade dishes like grilled eldfell burger and creamy seafood soup.
There’s a cool, edgy design to this hotel with its hanging seats and mirrored corridors. Standard doubles come complete with egyptian-cotton linen, organic toiletries and a window sofa. Upgrade to a premium suite with panoramic views, a private sauna and a freestanding bathtub. Downstairs, Sumac restaurant serves Middle Eastern mezze, such as crispy falafel and grilled lamb ribs.
Views don’t get much better than this. The eight luxurious suites here are positioned on the 20th floor and offer the highest viewpoint in Reykjavík. Each has its own distinctive character – from the Vífilsfell suite, with its freestanding bathtub looking towards the mountains, to the Akrafjall room overlooking the ocean. Telescopes and the self-serve Honesty Bar are thoughtful touches.
Like the idea of sinking into an outdoor hot tub for some stargazing? Book a suite at the Alda Hotel, positioned at the quiet end of Laugavegur, the main shopping street in Reykjavík. Step inside the hotel, and you’ll discover an oasis of calm, with rooms and suites painted in peaceful shades of grey and cream. The place also boasts a trendy barber, plus a brasserie-style restaurant for burgers, soups and salads.
For more luxury hotels around the country, read our guide to the best luxury hotels in Iceland – then book your next stay on Culture Trip. On a budget? Check out our pick of the best budget-friendly hotels in Reykjavík, Iceland, or if you’re after other accommodation options in the capital, check into one of the best hotels in Reykjavik.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.