Iceland’s rugged volcanic landscapes, remote fishing villages and majestic fjords provide the perfect backdrop to chilling crime fiction and mysterious sci-fi television dramas, such as Trapped, Fortitude and Katla. Here are the top locations every Nordic noir fan will want to visit in Iceland.
From awe-inspiring waterfalls, glaciers and geothermal springs to an eclectic mix of architecture, Iceland boasts an extraordinary array of natural and cultural attractions for its size. The long, dark winters and relative lack of light pollution also make it one of the most reliable and accessible places on earth to see the northern lights – which you now have the chance to do with Culture Trip on our specially curated five-day Iceland trip – led by our local insider.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A much murkier picture of this Nordic nation is portrayed by numerous popular murder mystery TV series, though, including Trapped, Case and the Valhalla Murders. These are characterised by bleak cinematography and slow-burning but gripping plotlines – interlaced with shocking twists to keep you guessing all the way through.
Iceland doesn’t quite have the international reputation of Sweden or Denmark when it comes to the Nordic noir genre, but that could soon change. In recent years – thanks to the creativity of award-winning directors such as Baltasar Kormákur and Baldvin Zophoníasson and heavy funding from RÚV, RVK Studios and most recently, Netflix – it has undergone a major boom in crime fiction to rival its Scandinavian cousins.
At the far end of north Iceland’s Tröllaskagi peninsula lies the small fishing village of Siglufjörður, where most of the first two seasons of Trapped were filmed. Season three for the series –which is arguably the most successful Icelandic crime drama – began production in 2020. The cast and crew were trapped by a blizzard that blocked the road out of the fjord during filming – much like what happens to the town’s fictional residents in the series. In summer, Siglufjörður is a hiker’s paradise, while it’s great for skiing in winter. Beer drinker? Its superb craft brewery, Segull 67 – housed inside an old fish factory – is a must-visit.
The ferry you see docking in the first episode of Trapped is actually a real passenger vessel (Norröna), which links Hirtshals in Denmark with Seyðisfjörður in east Iceland, stopping in Tórshavn in the Faroe Islands en route. Although Siglufjörður is the main setting of Trapped, several scenes were filmed here. It’s well worth venturing 30 minutes off the Ring Road to visit this idyllic village, with its thriving art community. Browse for handcrafted souvenirs at Blóðberg and snap a photo at the Blue Church, renowned for the rainbow path leading up to it – one of Iceland’s most Instagrammable spots.
With Culture Trip, you can visit spectacular sites including Sólheimajökull glacier, Reynisfjara beach and the Dyrhólaey lava arch around Katla and Vík as part of our five-day small group Iceland adventure.
Sky Atlantic’s Fortitude is set in Svalbard in Arctic Norway, featuring Stanley Tucci, Christopher Eccleston, Sofie Gråbøl and Michael Gambon. But this twisted thriller – which morphs from a classic murder mystery into a grotesque environmental horror involving prehistoric parasitic wasps, psychotic polar bears and a demonic sheriff – was actually filmed in Reyðarfjörður, in east Iceland. You can visit the infamous Fortitude bar, Kaffi Kasg – which has kept the neon fox sign above its doorway – as well as the guesthouse, Tærgesen, right next door to each other on Búðargata. Directly opposite, the N1 gas station was used as Fortitude’s snowmobile store.
Head 10km (6.2mi) south of Reykjavík and you’ll arrive at Hafnarfjörður – the third biggest town in Iceland, home to around 30,000 people. The old swimming pool – Sundhöll Hafnarfjarðar – is where the pool party scene in Trapped (S1, E5) was filmed. It’s open to the public Monday to Friday and entrance costs 800 ISK (£4.60). While you’re here, take a stroll through Hellisgerði Lava Garden for an immersive introduction to Icelandic elf folklore – or admire the intriguing range of exhibitions on display at the Hafnarfjörður Centre of Culture and Fine Art.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.