No visit to the Hungarian capital would be complete without at least peeking into one of its temples of beer and bric-à-brac. Ruin bars, or romkocsmák in Hungarian, have in recent years become popular attractions – as intrinsic to Budapest as its thermal baths, bridges and iconic Parliament building.
Most of Budapest’s ruin bars are found in the city’s Seventh District, in what used to be abandoned factories or warehouses. From the outside, these bars look like normal Budapest townhouses; once you walk into the inner courtyard, however, the places are bustling with life and adorned with quirky decor. If you’re up for enjoying a beer in what feels a bit like your local junk shop, be sure to explore Budapest’s best ruin bars.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Szimpla Kert, the original ruin bar, stands at the epicentre of the old Jewish quarter and Budapest’s nightlife. Practically an institution, on any given night Szimpla offers a journey into a phantasmagorical land thanks to its high dose of eclectic decor. Legend has it that Szimpla began as an experiment. Set up in an abandoned factory building, it offered affordable drinks for the creative crowd of the city, thus becoming somewhat of a bohemian hub. Today, Szimpla has evolved into much more than a bar and is keenly committed to giving back to the local community – artists included, says Gabor B Bihari, founder of Open Mic Budapest. To this end, Szimpla plays host to regular concerts, performances, design showcases, life-drawing classes and even a farmers’ market on Sunday mornings.
Located on the Buda side of the city, on the elegant Bartók Béla Boulevard, Szatyor emulates the spirit of its Pest counterparts but is undoubtedly shaped by its more upscale location. While it presents itself as an explosion of colourful frescoed walls, vintage lamps and painted furniture, unlike your typical ruin bar, Szatyor offers something a little different to its more discerning clientele. With its impressive selection of Hungarian craft beers and a menu that features grilled salmon gratin and venison steak, its departure from a regular ruin bar repertoire is nothing short of bold.
Doboz, founded in 2011, defines itself as a “ruin club”. It is made up of a range of themed areas playing different musical genres – from Latin pop to hip-hop. At the centre of its courtyard, surrounded by a myriad of doors painted in different colours, a 320-year-old tree is embraced by a muscular gorilla reminiscent of King Kong. The sculpture by Gábor Miklós Szőke is one of three installations, which the Hungarian artist describes as “fictional stops in a mythological underworld”. Another, a bull terrier jumping out from a wall toward guests at the bar, was inspired by the local neighbourhood’s most beloved canine resident.
Csendes can be found tucked away on a quiet side street just off one of Budapest’s main thoroughfares. The high-ceilinged space is adorned with mismatched chairs, bathtubs turned armchairs and hobby horses. Unlike its counterparts in the adjacent party district, the bar offers mellow vibes for a more laid-back clientele who opt for long drinks over shots. Ideal for a sit-down drink and conversation, Csendes is also a popular breakfast and lunchtime venue. “Whenever I have visitors, brunch at Csendes is a must. You can’t replicate its charm,” says Murray Johnson, co-founder of Local Beyond. With random scribbles and drawings adorning everything but the old chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, Csendes is equal parts chaotic and charming.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.