Szeged might not have the variety or style of Budapest when it comes to its local drinking establishments, but as a university town, it has a variety of local haunts that will keep you coming back.
The one-two combo of great beer and good quality pub grub makes Maláta Garden one of the best places to get a drink in Szeged. As a result, it is perhaps one of the most lively of places in the city, so expect to keep an eye out for a spare table. It’s especially popular in the summer months, when the energetic and laid-back atmosphere expands to the courtyard.
A post shared by @wleva on Oct 11, 2017 at 10:03am PDT
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A popular haunt for the artists and the creatives of the city, Grand Cafe is a mix of an art cinema, cafe and – in the evening – a chilled bar. Hidden away down a quiet side street with an open courtyard, the cafe feels like a hidden oasis, but it isn’t for everyone. It treads that fine line between bohemian and pretension. However, if you have an interest in art in all its forms, then Grand Cafe and its many programs will appeal to you.
Smooth Cafe & Lounge
Smooth Cafe is one of the better places in Szeged for cocktails and spirits, with a particularly impressive selection of whiskeys. It serves a selection of foods and even a chocolate fondue, which makes it a good romantic option or just as a place to go before heading out to the considerably more boisterous bars and clubs.
Nyugi has one of the more relaxed environments of all the bars in Szeged, which may go some of the way to explain its name: nyugi meaning ‘chill’ in Hungarian. It’s popular with the student crowd despite its relative distance from the centre, but the atmosphere is perfect for simply hanging out with friends either sheltered indoors with its cool, purposefully disheveled decoration or in its outdoor terrace. With foosball tables – or ‘csocsó’ in the local lingo – and chairs designed for lounging (not sitting), Nyugi is definitely a place to while away the hours.
A post shared by Nyugi Kert (@nyugikert) on Jan 27, 2017 at 1:27pm PST
This beer garden is particularly popular in the summer months, and for obvious reasons. It’s close proximity to the Tisza river banks means it is a great place to gather with friends for one or three beers. There’s often events hosted here, including live music, dance shows and electronic music nights. When the night is good, it’ll be one of the best places in the city, though admittedly, there are times where it can be completely dead, too.
Center Cafe & Bar
Taking ‘underground’ quite literally, Center is a cellar spot converted into a very trendy looking bar. The waiters are professional and the service is quick. It’s a favourite for cocktails, but all of its drinks are very reasonably priced. There’s space outside, but even in the warmer months, it can be worth finding a hidden cubicle downstairs to feel completely removed from the world outside – or perhaps a little closer to your date.
While this enclosed space might not be the most inventively decorated, it’s an environment that really feels social when the space is crowded with people. The subtle lighting and simple furniture make for an uncomplicated atmosphere to have a few drinks, but the varied selection of ever-changing craft beers gives ale-drinkers plenty of reasons to return. And yet, despite how centrally located it is, the hidden courtyard still manages to feel entirely separate from the city itself.
While the underground section of this bar always manages to draw a crowd, the real reason we draw attention to it is its outdoor seating, which utilises an old refurbished tram (specifically from the number 7 line) as a bar and seating. It’s a cool addition to the city that most will recognise, though it’ll be tougher to actually get a table here. It’s worth visiting for its decent prices and attentive service, but much better if you can make use of its stand out feature.
| 1 month away | 📍💭⌛️#cateontour #erasmus #lovethiscity
A post shared by Cate (@catepcardoso) on Sep 27, 2015 at 12:24pm PDT
From the people that brought Fröccsterász to Budapest, this pub brings the Hungarian spritzer to Szeged. It doesn’t quite match the cool vibes of the Budapest outfit (though that’s admittedly tough without a central park like Deák Ferenc Square to dominate), but it still manages to bring people together with cheap drinks, good music and a top-notch location.
Zápor József kávézoja
Truth be told there aren’t too many bars in Szeged that go all-in with their styling; Zápor József is the stand out place in this regard. It’s crammed with knickknacks from vinyls stuck to the walls and a retro car to tall-backed armchairs and old fashioned rugs. Its socialist style is a hit with the trendy crowd and maintains the same sort of intentional rough-and-tumble style that makes Budapest’s Szimpla so popular.
Józsi bácsi rezsit csökkent! Zápor József ma nagy bejelentést tett: meg fogja változtatni hétfőtől csütörtökig az emberek mindennapjait. Józsi bácsi elmondása szerint egy olyan példátlan összefogás van most készülőben, mint amilyen 1973 nyarán volt utoljára, amikor Józsi bácsi a Borsodi reklámarca lett. Akkor történt ugyanis, hogy a hirtelen jött népszerűségét felhasználva, azonnal elkezdett a befolyásával üzérkedni és segítőivel karöltve hihetetlen árzuhanást ért el a sörök piacán. Most is erre készül! Mostantól hétfőtől csütörtökig 200.- ft-ért ihatjátok a csapolt Korsó Borsodit a Záporban! Józsi bácsi továbbra is nagyüzemben issza a borsodit, úgyhogy akció a készlet erejéig tart.☺️ ❗️❗️❗️ #zapordrinkteam
A post shared by Zápor József Kávézója (@zaporszeged) on Feb 17, 2016 at 4:19am PST
Everyone’s been there, where the night reaches a certain point when you’ll either party until the early hours, or tuck yourself in bed and congratulate yourself on a hangover-free morning. If this happens and you’re looking for inspiration, then you’ll likely want to head to JATE Klub; though there are a handful of late-night clubs in the city, JATE Klub hosts a variety of concerts and events almost any night of the week, and while its drinks are a little expensive, it still manages to pull in a regular crowd to keep the party going. Definitely one to lose the night to.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.