With its Danube setting and proximity to Budapest, Szentendre is a popular location to visit for tourists looking to escape the city and see more of Hungary. Well known for its galleries, art and museums, this is a cultural hot spot. The list of things to do here really is endless. Here is the list of our top 10 things to see and do in Szentendre.
Margit Kovács Museum
The Margit Kovács Museum is one of Szentendre’s best known attractions, dedicated to the work of artist Margit Kovács (1902-1977). The collection consists of a number of clay pieces including plates, pots, statues and tiled murals, many featuring images of the artist’s mother. Kovács’ works are a tribute to her Hungarian roots and this exhibition is definitely a must visit for anyone interested in the contemporary culture of the county. Unfortunately, visitors are not allowed to take any photographs, but the distinctive style is memorable enough.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Vastagh György u. 1, 2000 , Szentendre, Hungary +36 20 779 6659
Fő Tér (Main Square)
This town’s marvellous main square is situated in the very heart of Szentendre. This is the point from where everything in the town begins, and it is surrounded by a selection of shops, restaurants and churches. A medieval town that was rebuilt in the 17th century, Szentendre is shrouded in history, clearly portrayed in the main square with its cobbled streets and old style buildings. For those seeking to visit and explore Szentendre, this is the place to start.
Located just off of the main square, Blagovestenska Church is probably the best known of the nine churches within Szentendre. It is a Greek-Orthodox church built in the 18th century by settlers living in the town’s Greek Quarter. With its baroque-rococo design, this church is certainly something to be marvelled at. Although the church does not look very ‘eastern’ from the outside, the beautiful interior decor is breath-taking. Visitors are greeted by wooden frescoes of St Constantine and St Helene whilst the interior features a beautiful iconostase. Paintings by artist Mihailo Zivkovic are seen within the church and can appear quite daunting as the eyes follow you on your tour.
The Hungarian Open Air Museum
The Hungarian Open Air Museum is perfect for those who wish to learn about and explore the history of the Hungarian way of life. The Museum is home to a collection of houses and artifacts that aim to educate visitors about the life and traditions of different Hungarian regions. Visitors get a chance to learn about the seven Hungarian regions from the Great Plains to Balaton Uplands. With petting farms, craft stalls and a number of events (including the mangles pig festival), this is a brilliant summer or family day out.
Sztaravodai út, 2000, Szentendre, Hungary +36 26 502 500
Ur Eleonóra Batik Galeria
This unique little gallery is found in the very heart of Szentendre. The artist behind the pieces found here uses the elements of nature as inspiration for many of her works, a number of which are painted onto silk using a batik technique. Love of nature is found in all paintings with bright colours are combined with delicate images to create something very special. Visitors can buy certain of the hand-made pieces if they so wish. Ur Eleonóra Batik Galeria is a wonderful gallery and although small, creates a large impact on visitors.
Retro Design Center
The Retro Design Center is a brilliant collection of items dating back to the 1970’s. With a collection of items such as cars, kitchen items, electrical equipment, furniture and toys, there is definitely something here that will catch the interest of everybody. Cars are beautifully renovated and many items will actually be recognisable to those who grew up around this era. It is just like stepping into a time portal and with a brilliantly priced entry fee, it is no wonder it is so popular.
Rév utca 4.Szentendre, Hungary +36 30 823 5875
Castle Hill is a worth-while trip, especially for those with an interest in history. This area was originally the site of a fortress from the Middle Ages but has since been destroyed. The Gothic church of St. John the Baptist is all that remains The church contains many beautiful frescoes that were painted by the members of the artist’s colony in the 1930s. However, the most impressive point of Castle Hill would definitely be the magnificent view. Guests will have the opportunity to take in the splendid views of the whole town which is worth a visit in itself.
Located in the Danube River, the island is found between Budapest and the Danube Bend. It is a truly magical visit and one that all visitors to Szentendre should take. At 31km long, the island is home to a number of villages including Kisoroszi and Horány. It is also known as priest’s island and is regularly hosts the Lipizzan Horse Show. It provides a taste of true Hungarian life and the way it used to be many years ago. There is a ferry service that can take visitors here from Tahitótfalu.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.