Located three hours away from Athens, the luscious island of Spetses is a perfect weekend escape from city life.
The journey from Athens is in a small hydrofoil that leaves multiple times a day from Piraeus. Along the way, you stop at Poros, Hydra and Ermioni, a small town on the mainland. Each destination offers more of a flavour of what will greet you when you finally arrive at Spetses. The view becomes increasingly luscious and green and the architecture more historic with every stop.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Spetses is a haven for Athenians, who have been holidaying here for decades. The island became iconic for its connection with the Aristotle Onassis-and-Jackie Kennedy relationship. The two romanced on the island before marrying on Onassis’s private isle. Meanwhile, fellow shipping tycoon Stavros Niarchos owned the island of Spetsapoula, just a few miles from Spetses.
Aside from its celebrity connotations, Spetses played a vital role in the war of Greek independence. The inhabitants were some of the first to participate in the Greek War of Independence in 1821, providing ongoing resources to the Greek navy throughout the war. The pivotal role that the residents of the island played is commemorated every September with a re-enactment of one particularly decisive battle in the Argolic Gulf.
Literary lovers will also know Spetses as the island that inspired John Fowles’ The Magus. Such a combination of literature, culture and history adds to the allure of the island. However, even without these accolades, Spetses is an easy sell – especially out of season.
On the luscious and verdant island, cars have been banned for the most part, which ensures fantastically clean air and a general sense of quiet. Instead, visitors can get around by scooter, bicycle or horse and carts. All offer a more tranquil way to travel. One of the first things to greet you when you get off the boat is a line of antiquated horse and carts, immediately signalling an escape from modern life.
The harbour is dominated by the historic Poseidonion Grand Hotel. The creamy yellow exterior and forest green shutters have been offering a warm welcome to visitors since it opened in 1914. Even if a weekend at the hotel is out of your budget, a drink on the verandah terrace is an essential part of the Spetses experience. Along the waterfront are small tavernas and cafés, while in the winding streets behind are luxury boutiques with prices to rival the fashion capitals of Europe. Should you be looking for a decadent beach purchase, this is the spot for you. Evenings can be easily spent strolling through this area. The old harbour, which is a 15-minute stroll away, offers more tavernas and shops, and off-season is slightly less touristy than the newer spot of Dapia.
The culinary scene offers some traps. Restaurants can be über touristy and needlessly expensive, but there are many relaxing and delicious places too. Kapelogiannis is a local favourite that offers delicious Greek plates and a serene view of the old harbour. Prices are affordable, and the atmosphere relaxed. It’s a great spot to retire to after a morning of exploring in Dapia. If you’d rather dine on the beach, Kaiki Beach Club restaurant is a little more upmarket but worth the splurge for the luxurious and atmospheric surroundings. Zogeria restaurant on the north part of the island is a more laid-back and low-key taverna to lunch at, situated on a spectacular beach. In the evenings, Tarsanas in the old harbour is a relaxing spot, or try Mourayo, which offers beach-side dining and a great menu.
There’s plenty to do during the day. If you’re inclined to do so, the island is small enough to roam around on foot. From the main town of Dapia, you can walk about an hour and a half north to quieter and more remote beaches. Another joy of visiting out of season is that you can explore freely, without fear of sunstroke or exhaustion. While the sun may shine throughout the year, the sea really only begins to be swimmable from April (and even then, locals will laugh at your earnestness). You’ll find crystal clear water and largely uninterrupted peace. If you’re headed to the more remote spots, a picnic or snacks come highly recommended, and of course, don’t forget to bring water. It’s also easy to rent bicycles and scooters from the port so that you can discover the many beaches around the island at your leisure.
As spring breaks, it will prove hard to tear yourself away from the aromatic punch of pine trees and tantalisingly crisp water. However, should you choose to covet culture over natural pursuits, the town offers plenty to sate your desires. Most famous is the Bouboulina’s Museum, dedicated to Laskarina Bouboulina, a fiercely successful woman naval officer during the Greek War of 1821. It is set just back from the town, and the short walk to it will offer some heavenly architecture too. There is also The Spetses Museum, which houses a collection of post-Byzantine and Russian icons as well as historical artefacts from the Greek War of Independence.
Depending on where you stay, a peak-summer-season weekend break in Spetses is unlikely to offer you the same level of serenity. In July and August, the island becomes packed with tourists. Dapia swarms with visitors who enthusiastically queue to sample ice cream flavours; the idyllic clatter of horse and cart becomes more feverish and intense.
That said, even at the peak of the holiday influx, it is difficult to find an island that will rival Spetses for ease, beauty and the experience of luxury. A weekend trip offers everything you could dream of for reviving yourself. Just don’t be surprised if, after a long week on the mainland, you find yourself venturing back to repeat the weekend experience all over again.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.